Southern Miss scouting report

Hey all-

I posted a little last year, but this is my first time on the new board, though I've been reading since the beginning of the season. So much talk has been on the Marquette game and Mizzou which is understandable, but I thought since we had a game tonight, we should focus in on Southern Miss.

Southern Miss is 8-5. Their big win was at home against Memphis, but they are 0-5 on the road, including losses to the likes of Arkansas State and Murray State. Players to watch include Charles Gaines, who averages a double double with 16.4 points and 10 boards a game. Jasper Johnson and Clement Carter both average around 10 and 5 a game. This game might come down to how well our big guys can play against theirs. If Sloan can shut down Gaines and Frericks can step it up and stay out of foul trouble, I don't think we should have a problem.

Also noteworthy is that Southern Miss turns the ball over quite a bit (16.4 a game), 2nd worse in CUSA, and their defense gives up about 70 points a game and allowed Murray State to put up 94 on the road. We need to exploit these weaknesses, which we should, especially at home in order to win.

Southern Miss's RPI is 62, SOS 19.

Their RPI is 62? I'm surprised to see that it's that high. That makes this even more a must-win game. Hopefully we can pick up where we left off with them in the conference tourney last year. I remember Jasper Johnson playing really well against us last year. We need TF to stay out of foul trouble so we can put a big body on him.

I'm sure that our friend, Terry Moore, will be working one of the upcoming home games. When we see him, lets not forget to let him know what we thought of his five second call in that Marquette game.

as i said, in an earlier post, terry has typically been a very good ref. one in the vein of hightower in his prime that just blended into the game and seldom would make a call like that. i would prefer to give him another chance before putting him on the welmer list. and i am not a very ref friendly guy!

>as i said, in an earlier post, terry has typically been a

>very good ref. one in the vein of hightower in his prime

>that just blended into the game and seldom would make a call

>like that. i would prefer to give him another chance before

>putting him on the welmer list. and i am not a very ref

>friendly guy!

I don't know Roy. It is hard to say that the guy had a brain fart with 10 seconds left in the game and you give him a pass because he has been solid in the past. This was a situation where no call should have been made, there was no contact (meaning he was not put on a spot to make a call), rather the ref inserts himself into the game to alter the outcome with time running out. In my mind, it has to be a call that in his mind he is looking to make. There is no other explanation. This guy deserves to hear it when lands at Savvis next.

I agree ... we clobber him ... is there any way to find out in advance who the refs are. I truly believe that no college ref can or did make that mistake ... it was intentional and I would gamble on whether or not he had some kind of personal gain. He should be investigated very thouroughly

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

piss him off and have him screw us again.

Maybe he has had a chance to think it over and

>will try to make it up to us.

If this is the type of ref he is, we dont want him AT ALL. Absolutely you point out to him that you didn't like that marginal 5 second call. If he is the type of ref that reacts to a hostile crowd, then he is a BAD ref.

Hit 'em hard.

I could not find a way to email the officials at CUSA ... I did email to a general contact address and asked for a response. I did it yesterday morning and have not heard anything back ... probably won't.

I think if CUSA has any integrity at all ... they should be investigating his actions on their own ... I will not be surprised id he profitted in some way. It was to out of the ordinary and certainly intentional

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman