Ticket situation at Scottrade

Come out to the parking lot across the street before the next home game. I will show you my transcripts and my goddamn diploma if that makes you happy, Roy. BTW, we know where you sit at the games -- quick picking your nose.

I admit I like lighting fires underneath people's bellies. I'm not going to lie. I get great satisfaction reading your posts and imagining you getting fired up about SLU. This is what we need. Aggressive, rabid SLU fans who won't settle for anything less than excellence at all costs.

I went on a rant earlier about this and I figured I'd just cut and paste it here :)

Right now if a student wants to go to a men's basketball game, they have to come to the Billiken Ticket Office in West Pine Gym starting 2 business days before the game between 8:30am-5pm with their SLU ID and they get one free ticket. I inquired with the Athletic Department about why they didn't give out tickets to students at Scottrade Center itself. They looked into it and told me that why it is a good idea, Scottrade Center deals with Ticketmaster, which is not what our Ticket Office uses. I asked why they couldn't print up like 100 tickets and have them sitting at a window, but they said it costs money to print up tickets (even if they go unused) and they would have to paying someone to man the ticket booth to hand them out. They said that what it boils down to is that if students want to go to the game, they can make time to get the ticket a few days beforehand. The point I could not get across to them was that SLU students don't decide to do something until the day of the event, so they're actually shooting themselves in the foot and minimizing our potential for student turn-out.

I went on a basketball road trip this past February to Dayton, and the students there told me that they just show their ID at the doors to the arena and they let them in. Granted, it is Dayton's arena, but I just think that SOMETHING can be figured out.

Last Saturday (the day of the SLU vs. Quincy game), I was in the West Pine Gym lobby for an hour and a half and at least 15 students came in to try and get tickets, but they couldn't because the ticket office was closed. I am never as popular as I am during the hour prior to a basketball game. I have EVERYONE calling me trying to get tickets (since I hold all of our members' tickets until we hand them out right before the game). This could be avoided if some sort of system could be worked out with the ticket office in Scottrade Center.

It all boils down to money. On the side of the Athletic Department, there are only 3 Athletic Departments in the country that have revenue at the end of the school year. If they wanted to implement a system at Scottrade Center itself--whether it be printing out tickets or putting in an actual machine--it would cost them money...money they cannot be guaranteed they would get back. On the other hand, there is next to no athletic promotions on campus that is NOT done by BLUE CREW or Legion 1818, i.e. students. If students wanted to go to the games, they would need to know the policy on getting tickets 2 days in advance, and they currently do not have means of getting that information in other way besides word-of-mouth. I want this school to be the kind of basketball school that Illinois is, but that takes time to build. We cannot keep using the excuse that it will happen when the new arena gets here. That just sounds lazy to me. If they AD would implement a system where students could get tickets on the day of the game somehow, I would personally stand in the snow all day with a sign telling everybody.

.. if I write "$80 million dollars" here, as I now have, it will be the first time. You just continue along your stellar ways, dude. Fish in a barrel stand a better chance. Does the Barnum & Bailey circus theme play in your head when you write these things or are you coming home drunk alone again?

.... and when we own our own arena, it will be a rant of the past. You essentially said so yourself in describing the Dayton situation. You get what you pay for (even if Booby doesn't understand that one) and we don't pay much to begin with so why should a business in business for making money be even a bit concerned about a bunch of free loaders (which students are and should be -- I was)? The whole Billiken program is nothing but a ScottTrade tenant, one that is going away. One that will be replaced. I guarantee you that if the Circus or Dolts on Ice comes along and offers more rental money for the week or month, the Bills will be playing on the road ... either in conference, out of conference or in St. Chuck.

And as the on-campus arena approaches closer, the insults will become even more harsh and more common. Money talks, bullsh*t walks.