Move the Billiken

billikenmetz

When the Arena is built, to have the Billiken in the main foyer of the arena entrance...all the students/alums/fans can rub the belly on the way in, kind of like how they do at Maryland with the Terrapin. I'd like to see that. Anyone else? Get it to the arena so that the myth of people "urinating" or "jacking off" on it gets put to bed. I'm sick of hearing it. I rubbed it everytime I walked to class.

Yeah, how could we do that? Maybe have someone contracted to make another one...better yet, have a bunch of Blue Crew or Legion 1818 guys hoist it up on a bed and carry it, ala' the old Persian queens to the Arena about 2 hours before tip-off...get people lined up and cheering for the Billiken as it arrives at the Arena. We need to establish some cool new traditions.

All it takes is for someone to make an announcement at the games. Like at some schools, the PA guy will just say something and then people do it. I'd like to see our basketball team after every home game (win or lose) come by the student section and salute them for cheering. Kind of like what most football teams do.

This is kind of off topic of the Arena and traditions, but one of my favorite memories I have of BLUE CREW was my freshman year when I think we played (and I think beat) Marquette. We went absolutely crazy cheering, and there were only like 30 of us. On the way off the court after the game, Soderberg stepped out of line and came over to the BLUE CREW section, stood at the front, and applauded. We flipped out and I'm surprised we didn't rush the court right then. So cool.

Random story...sorry!

I still think a statue of Easy Ed on one end and perhaps one of Eddie Hickey on the other end of the arena,could be interesting.

I know a guy who got really drunk kissed the Billiken's nipple one night and had a cold sore the next week. True story. The Billiken is dangerous but I still rubbed his belly prior to tests and I graduated with minimal effort, powerful stuff.