Afternoon pickup

Thanks to Nark for the use of the Billiken

Went to WP; boys were playing the last game. Daniel Lisch was in the game...hoping to ink him soon. ;-) Bumped into EW Jr - he said Tommy's team came in 2nd in the Show-me games, and it wasn't particularly close. He rattled off a bunch of names on the winners; they would all be familiar to you. Asked him about JJ since I saw him dress out a few weeks ago without playing - he said he had a low grade injury that kept him from playing all the time, but he was keeping his hand in. Saw Bryce hobbling down the corridor with his leg in a walking cast - different leg this time; he's had 2 sprains this summer.

Then the women started their pickup - I saw Theresa Lisch for the first time...omigod...does it all, and goes for the throat. There were some athletic big kids, but I hadn't seen them before. I bumped into Shimmy.... She told me about the 3 new girls other than Theresa - all are big bangers. We'll have some height for a change. Rachel Diener was playing; she's entered a master's program and will be on the team this year. She looked a little off her game; seemed to have no interest in shooting. Shimmy said she liked her team, but would be relying heavily on freshmen and didn't know what to expect. Here's what I expect - one of the biggest turnarounds in SLU history...

An earlier thread about Tommy was in the dark about who won although Tommy's team got to the finals. I was just wanting to clarify that. I can't remember all the names mentioned, but I recognized every one. Demetrious Alexander was on the winners as was an SIU alum. I was pumping EW about everyone on the court I didn't recognize.

Sorry; EA Jr...I was pumping him about any face I didn't recognize on the court. Demetrious Alexander and a recent SIU alum were on the winners...I forget the names but recognized all of them...

Daniel has a nice body and an attitude...gets after it on defense, but I defer to you Belleville occupants for the real scoop...;-) What did I say that could possibly irk Shimmy - that I have high expectations of the women's program for a change??? She has more talent (good recruiting) and better coaching and an upbeat attitude - a great combination from my perspective. I don't apologize for high expectations. Put me down for 20 wins for the men as long as we're doing some positive thinking...

I got there late, although I thought the men started at 4:30, but they were just finishing up. I stood behind the door with Earl Austin and queried him on the SM games. I saw a young kid really getting after it and it was Daniel Lisch. I liked what I saw, but guest says he has a long way to go still. By the time I was finished with Earl, the game was over and the girls started up. I really enjoyed watching them for about 45 minutes. Next time I go, I'll call the hoops office to get the right time.

i love the entire lisch family, however, tsueg is right. daniel is not kevin. Daniel is very well put together, has the normal lisch attitude on defense and is a very nice ball handler. however, he is not the scorer or decision maker that kevin is yet. that said, daniel is only going to be a junior and has plenty of time to progress. i wouldnt write him off.

plus, daniel is playing with a belleville west team that is going to improve. the underclassmen last year were successful on the jv, soph and freshmen level, supposedly, jeremy felton is transferring to west this fall, and incoming super freshmen, justin clayborne is supposed to enroll as well. i.e. daniel will be surrounded by far more talent this coming season.