Atlantic 10 vs. Missouri Valley 03-04 scheduling....

tseugnekillib

To those who question SLU's ability to schedule non-conference powers as a member of the A10 versus the MVC, please look at the following info.

I scanned both the A10 and MVC cumulative schedules (both are 10 team conferences) looking for upcoming non-conference games against last year's top six conferences, that being the Big12, SEC, ACC, Big East, Big10 and the Pac10.

The MVC will have a total of nine games against teams in the top six conferences mentioned above. The nine power teams playing MVC teams are: Iowa, Iowa State(2 games), Kansas State, Nebraska, Miami, Fla., Michigan State, Mississippi, and Purdue. Six of these nine power games are in-state rivalries, such as Nebraska vs. Creighton, Drake vs. Iowa, etc.

On the other hand, the Atlantic 10 has 37 games against schools in the top six power conferences. The 37 power teams playing A10 teams are: Texas Tech, Villanova(3 games), Ohio State, Miami, Fla.(2), Illinois, Indiana(2), Syracuse (2), Pitt, Rutgers, Providence, Boston College(3), West Virginia(2), Wake Forest, Maryland, Arizona State, Mississippi State, Penn State, South Carolina, California, Minnesota, Iowa State, Texas, UConn, Colorado, Seton Hall(2), Tennessee, Alabama, Kansas and Georgetown. Of these 37 games against schools in the top six power conferences only seven are in-state rivalries.

imo, this huge scheduling advantage is a significant reason to accept an offer from the likes of an A10.

What could Burwell, Rammer and Frankie C. be thinking? But then again, perhaps they were not thinking!

(data accuracy estimated at plus or minus 5%; feel free to check)

i believe the state of iowa demands that the state schools play each other. thus, northern iowa gets to play iowa and iowa state only because of legislative mandate.

Not that I need to be convinced about how much better it would be scheduling a high-major non-conference schedule in the A-10 than the Missouri Valley, but the question that would seal it would be what percentage of those nine MVC games and what percentage of those 37 A-10 games are home games for the teams in the two respective conferences. Because I don't need to be convinced, I won't take the time to look it up (but I'm sure someone will), but I'd nearly wager that the A-10 home games are within two percentage points of 50 percent (maybe more, maybe less) and that the MVC home games are less than 50 percent, perhaps even by twenty percentage points.