Terry Evans/Luke Meyer updates...

Prepstars.com has stories today on Terry Evans and Luke Meyer.

The Evans story said that his knee injury was much more serious than originially thought -- it was a torn meniscus instead of just tenditis. Evans said most of the schools that were after him before the injury have backed off and the only scholarship offer he has now is from Southern Illinois. He mentioned that SLU sends him some stuff, but not very much.

The only new "news" from the Meyer story is that he has scheduled an official visit to St. Louis U. on Sept. 5 and that he plans to make a decision before his season starts. Meyer said if he had to choose a school right now, he would pick Stanford. (I do not know, however, if he has received an offer from them.)

That's all for now.

- Nate

>>The Evans story said that his knee injury was much more serious than originially thought -- it was a torn meniscus instead of just tenditis.<<

If we have a doctor in our group then maybe he or she can give better insight than the following (which comes from tearing my meniscus at age 19): Torn meniscus is not that big of a deal. He'll need arthroscopic surgery to clean it up and, after several weeks of rehab, should be ready to start training again. Meniscus is the cushion between the two leg bones that meet at the knee joint. Years down the road it can lead to other problems (i.e., early onset of arthritis) but he should be fine for his college career. As long as he does not also have torn ligaments, I would be for giving Evans serious consideration for one of the open scholarships.

the Meyer situation is interesting. Stanford cannot offer him a scholarship until he is admitted to the university, which could take a while. Marquette player Chris Grimm decided to sign with MU rather than wait for Stanford while Dan Grunfeld spurned Wisconsin-Madison to wait for Stanford. Depends on how badly Meyer wants to go there.

Torn meniscus can be as simple as a torn fingernail or as complex as a torn hamstring. I've had two .... both were extremely naggingly painful but that pain went bye-bye once the arthroscopic procedure was done. I was out playing ball two weeks after the one surgey.

Seriously, if its the fingernail version, you clip it out and the pain is gone because the tear is rubbing on something inside. If his original diagnosis was tendonitis, they doc should have seen a problem sooner than what he did. If its as extreme as a hamstring, it will require some more serious repair and rest. It could even involve substituting a replacement "pad" in his knee. Synthetics are amazing now a days. I would not retreat on this kid over a torn meniscus. As a matter of fact, I'd offer right now on the spot if he is as good as folks say he is.

I also blew out the ACL in my right knee ..... being older I scrapped the plans to rehab. The serious of such an injury might come later in the form of a knee replacement. But the doc told me that was years later.

>Terry hasn't been able to play for more than 2 weeks at a

>time since having his knee scoped almost 8 months ago.

>Something isn't right.

Sounds like the surgeon missed something the first time around (p.s. I'm not a doctor but I like to play one on the internet :o ). Possibly his meniscus was so ragged that the scope was unable to give him relief. Unless there was a subsequent injury, the doctor should have been able to make that call when he viewed it through the scope at the time of the surgery 8 months ago. I hope Terry is getting better medical advice. With a meniscus replacement, he should still make a full recovery (assuming no ligament tear). Given that we are sitting on a few extra scholarships, we are likely to have an open scholarship late and, hopefully, Terry Evans' medical condition will have improved by that point.

While I have had a personal viewing of Meyer in game situations, Earl Austin Jr has also said he has serious flaws in his game. In discussing him at the last Billiken Club meeting he said something to the effect of his shots may go in at Borgia but at the D-1 level they will end up in the fifth row. It is possible he has improved but even if Stanford is after him I would still take Liddell and Evans over him.