Romar gets Probation

It's this simple: Cameron Dollar flagrantly violated the rules, while Mizzou played 'loosely' with the rules. That's a huge difference. I agree with Taj that Quin will be carefully watched, but the NCAA already finished their investigation of Mizzou. This case is closed...

Look, I agree about Quin. I used to try to defend him on this forum, but I can't do that any longer. A year or two ago, Roy was saying Quin was dirty, and I said no way, the airplane thing was just a mistake, blah, blah, blah. As a Missouri fan, I hope we have dodged yet another bullet, but there has been way too many "mistakes." It is very hard for me, as an attorney, to buy Quin's Clintonesque excuses about either not being aware of a rule, or disagreeing with an interpretation of what constitutes a rules violation. After all, the guy has an MBA and a Law degree from Duke, so I presume he can read.

Reading between the lines of some of his public comments, I think Alden has tired of these little episodes and is making Quin walk the line. At least I hope that is the case. After all, you only get passes on so many "minor" violations before you get hit with the "lack of institutional" control hammer.

Finally, and this is just my speculation, I have to believe Quin learned some of his "techniques" while he was at Duke. I'm sure coach K is a "saint," but I have to believe Quin didn't just start doing this stuff at MU. That's not an excuse, its more of a comment on college basketball--the elite can get away with certain things because they are the elite.

Just to clarify, the phone call was to Conley's mother and not Jason himself. You almost sound like you're dismissing Washington's cheating. I know you'd be all over "pretty Q" if he blatently and knowingly broke rules like Dollar did.

It also seems to me that Mizzou got off light. There wasn't just one 5 minute call. I don't know the number but if I remember right weren't there about 7 calls made. Jason's "Mom" must not have understood the word no very well. Also it isn't like this is the first minor violation. There is a clear pattern. "If we only bend the rules a little"

As for Washington and Romar I think they got what they deserved. I'm not surprised that Romar stuck with Dollar. If he had fired him maybe he could have gotten a slightly reduced penalty, but the long term gain from his loyalty may prove to be beneficial with recruits and other potential assistants.

I liked Romar but I am glad he is gone .... His great success as a bridesmaid has certainly pushed him to break the rules

Yes ... I see. I'm sure her answering machine was broken and wouldn't take the I'm sorry Mrs. Conley ... we would love to speak to Jason about coming to Mizzou, but we cannot proceed any further until he is released from VMI. We do not wan't to damage Jason's eligability by continuing the conversation. Rest assured we really like Jason alot and would love to have him ... so as soon as he is released we will talk again. Best of luck to you and Jason.

Lets get real

mu, the one thing that hit me the hardest when the jetgate hit the news 4 years ago, was pretty q immediately stating 1. he didnt know the rules (that seems to be his first response to everything) but then, the revelation that duke did it all the time. i tend to agree that it seems there has always been a separate set of rules for the elite. amazingly, just by acting the part, it seems like missouri has somehow gotten into this "elite" group.

if you read all my posts in this string jwd, i have already stated that if i was in charge at washington, i would have fired dollar. so no, i havent dismissed anything.

my point in this string is that it amazes me that missouri's transgression in the conley situation seems to me to be a far worse act than talking to a high school sophomore, yet it appears missouri's act is being swept away and called minor. i just dont think the punishments have fit the crimes in missouri's case.

1. As for the contact with Conley mom it is quite clear that it is an infraction. It is my understanding that is a major infraction, not a minor infraction. However Mizzou has claimed it to be a minor infraction, however I have not heard that it is minor in the NCAA's eyes.

As for conspiracy theories, I wonder how in depth the NCAA will look into this, the less they look the better for mizzou, however if they are serious they will impose further punishment than mizzou has inflicted thus far. Recent decision UW and Michigan are good examples. agian they may not be apple to apple comparisons.

As Vahe reported in the Post, the NCAA has yet to rule about the latest Mizzou self-report of their phone records. However, the NCAA did reinstate Jason Conley after an initial inquiry of those same phone records. I would be surprised that the NCAA would reinstate Jason Conley if they thought there was a potential major violation. Only time will tell if Mizzou did commit a major violation or not.

if i remember correctly, alden begged the ncaa to not punish conley for missouri's mistakes. that would not absolve missouri from anything.

in fact, the fact that missouri admitted guilt and then did not wash their hands of the situation might really play come back to haunt the tigers. many times if a program promises to not take or continue pursuit of the player involved in the violation the ncaa is more apt to write it off. (see the mcbride kid from springfield illinois that missouri admitted guilt and then quit recruiting) the fact missouri did not, they may have made their impending punishment worse.