A-10 Expansion Poll

Sniper

Maybe you are reading something I am not but I see all kinds of comments on both sides. I am also not sure who some of the posters are that say they are SLU fans - sounds like some are plants who are trying to give a bad impression of SLU. Truth is the A-10 will be a good league for SLU and the season ticket base at SLU is over 9000 - how many teams in the A-10 can say that. Plus the arena will get built - no question. Finally, SLU has no interest in the MVC and the the school's president has said so. If anybody from the A-10 Board reads this, pass it on to your posters. This the straight story.

I took note of comments regarding putting pressure on the bottom feeders to improve or leave (i.e., up or out). Here is a quote from a post on the A10 board:

-------------------------

Sitting Bull

There has been no official (newspaper,A10 press release) information stating that the A10 has plans to kick out teams.

I did read on another basketball message board from a reliable poster that Fordham, Duquense and possibly more teams agreed to new standards that the A10 will set. According to this poster they have 2 years to meet these standards or be forced to find another conference.

But as of right now rumors on basketball message boards are the only thng I have seen concering kicking teams out. The following is a link to the closest I have seen from someone who is "official" that has hinted at expulsion.

Xavier AD Hints at A10 expulsion?

"

"If you look at the conference, people have looked at us as being in the footprint of the Big East," Xavier athletic director Mike Bobinski said. "The difference from a men's basketball perspective is most striking at the bottom of the league. (The Big East has) had success with their teams at the bottom of the league. We have had over the same period of years ... teams that have consistently been in position where they hurt the league. Their RPI (ratings percentage index) has never gotten to a satisfactory level. We have interest in having those schools bring it up."XU AD

------------------

Interesting, if true, that the A10 is giving 2 years for Fordham and Duquense to improve ... that is the exact time frame that SLU and Charlotte are rumored to be entering the A10. If the A10 exchanges SLU and Charlotte for Fordham and Duquense, the conference RPI in hoops is going ballistic. I like the sounds of where the A10 is going. On Fordham though, it would be nice if they improved and were able to soldier on in the A10--Fordham is the only Jesuit university in the country older than SLU and is in NYC (only A10 team located there).

>FYI Georgetown University (founded 1789) is the oldest

>Jesuit and the

>oldest Catholic college/university in the country. The third

>oldest Jesuit

> institution of higher learning is Spring Hill College in

>Mobile, AL (founded 1830). Fordham was founded in 1841.

Thanks for clearing that up Bob!

i may be wrong on this, and i definitely dont know the dates, but i think slu wasnt originally a jesuit school. the jesuits came in later and took it over. i dont know why that sticks in my head but something like that strikes me. and if that is true, maybe that is why the article has fordham as a sooner jesuit school. anyone got exactly's?

BRoy -- you are correct.

Bishop DuBourg founded a Catholic college in 1818 and the Jesuits took control in 1826 and Peter Verhaegen S.J was SLU's first president. SLU is the second oldest jesuit college.

SLU.edu has a link to the History of SLU.