2004 - Terry Evans

mws26

My guess is that Terry Evans is a fallback option if SLU fails to land Tommy Liddell. I doubt both would sign at SLU. I've heard that Liddell doesn't want to stray too far from home, ala Joel Shelton. I really see Illinois as the main competition for SLU, regardless of how many other major programs inquire about him...

Liddell seems to be the target at 3 for scholarship but I wonder about the other scholarship which I assume we are looking for a PF with. The only names I have heard are Grimes and Shaw (and does not sound like we have offered Shaw although he made an unofficial visit to the campus). Given our apparent lukewarm interest in Matt Shaw (I guess due to size) and Grimes apparent indifference to SLU, I really wonder who else are our targets at PF. There has to be some other player we have not heard about. Personally, I would like to see us offer Shaw. We have recruited quite a bit of size in our most recent class (6'9", 6'10", 7'1") but we need more athleticism, physical toughness. Chris Sloan is in entering his last year. Shaw brings athleticism, toughness, and a certain level of skills we could use from a 3/4. I don't want to see the Bills get caught short again on athleticism when we play the UT-Martins and UABs of the world.

I could see Aaron Jackson stepping up and becoming the top 3 behind Liddell next year.

There is really no sizeable guys besides Shaw and Grimes in next years class (Muse from Vashon also but he will not get recruited). I would really like to see shaw get a hard look from SLU but we do have a lot of big men on the team, maybe we are set or Brad has other options.

Vince Humphrey 6-4 SG/SF Fenwick (IL) Source: Hoopmasters, ChicagoHooops

Mick Yelovich 6-8 PF/C Mt. Zion (IL) Source: Rivals, Hoopmasters

Luke Meyer 6-5 SF Borgia Source: Nate Latsch of the Post Dispatch says we offered Luke a few months back. Latsch says he got the word straight from Luke's high school coach.

One Badgermaniac poster claims the staff has also shown interest in Kyle Weaver, a 6-4 SG/SF from Beloit Memorial in Wisconsin. Our friend Swenson is a big fan of this kid.

Thanks for the info 3Star but Mick Yelovich, based on the little bits of info I pick up on him on the web (it does appear he is fine golfer ... just what we needed at PF), nothing I see makes me comfortable that we have solid depth in our recruiting options at PF. Maybe we shall not take any bigs (5 or 4) in the 04 class? Maybe it will be 1,2,3.

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles/yelovich1.html

romar all but had a loi signed with a pf last spring named taj gray. he was going to be a partial qualifier i believe thus would have had to sit out last year. when romar headed northwest, taj turned away. taj will be one of the top power forwards coming out of juco next year. wouldnt hurt if he was still on the billiken wish list. i do not know if he is interested anymore or if the billikens are still interested, but it is a thought of another player that knows a little about the billikens and almost came before.

besides shaw and grimes, there is the pf/c center from mt zion, illinois, mick yelovich that the billikens have been rumored to be in on as well.

why do you not think muse will get recruited?

as to jackson, he is one of the least fundamentally sound players that i have seen in awhile at the talent level he has. to be honest, i would take murkey, price, a hurt evans, jb jones and luke meyer before jackson unless he learns how to play basketball. brad has said on a number of occasions, while he wants athletes, he will take basketball players before athletes.

I really like Aaron Jackson's game.

I was telling people late in the high school season that I thought Jackson would be the third-best prospect in St. Louis after Tommie Liddell and Kalen Grimes.

He's kind of like a poor-man's Larry Hughes. Jackson is a better scorer than most high school kids. He shoots the ball well from mid-range and behind the arc. He has a ton of athleticism -- as much as Xavier Price.

However, Jackson didn't show much in the two games (Friday night and Saturday morning) I saw him last weekend. He didn't look to score and just wasn't a factor when he was on the floor.

I think Jackson is still a good prospect, more of a sleeper, and will be a good college player wherever he ends up. SLU would be a good fit for him because they need someone who can put points on the board. Jackson might not be strong enough defensively to impress coach Sodeberg.

I think SLU should offer Matt Shaw, but I don't know who else is out there -- regionally, nationally and internationally -- that could offer the same skill set with more size. Shaw and Jackson are two guys that will go somewhere else to school and probably have Billiken fans wishing they were at SLU.

- Nate

I've picked up on a few over the past 12 months.

Brad prefers frontcourt people with size. He hasn't signed a frontcourt player under 6'8 in either of his two classes.

Brad is more impressed with point guards who set up their teammates --Dwayne Polk, Brandon Morris -- than shoot-first point guards -- Jamaal Tatum, Mike Jefferson.

Brad really likes big guards who handle the ball well. If Jackson handled the ball like Liddell, he probably would have been offered already.

nate, i totally agree with you about jackson's athleticism. he is extremely gifted. but if friday nite when i watched the eagles play, i had $1 for every time aaron made a fundamental mistake like a wasted dribble, letting his man go baseline, approaching his man on the wing straight on instead of from an angle and then watching a less athletic player blow by him, one handed sloppy passes, etc. i would have easily paid for most of the people watching admission price. imo, from what i have heard coach brad say on many occasions, "i will take a basketball player over an athlete anyday", i personally will be surprised if aaron ever becomes a billiken.

that all said, aaron is definitely a diamond in the rough.