Asst Anthony Beane resigns

TheBand

Mojo,

I have watched Mark coach for years....he looks the role. It usually takes him about five minutes before he throws his sport coat into the stands!

Bernsen certainly wouldn't be my first pick, or second, or third pick. It would be interesting seeing the list of applicants. (I'd take Pete Norman, at Highland JC in Freeport,Illinois before Mark.)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But, he knows the STL area and has recruited here for years. Just because he gets after it throws his jacket does not mean he wouldn't make a great asst. How do you think SPOON got all those great teams at SMS. Brad needs somebody with a lot of recruiting experience, Bernsen has a lot.

This guy is the ultimate missouri retread. This would be like an NBA team trotting out Bill Fitch.

Every place he has a chance to excel himself he has not panned out. He can stay at JC as far as I'm concerned. He is no great recruiter he is a poor one in fact. If this is what the athletic dept is coming up with in their candidate search I have to seriously question our committment to a successful program.

>I can't get overly excited about Bonner as an assistant

>because I don't think he would have an immediate impact on

>the total recruiting picture. imo, SLU needs an experienced

>recruiter, one who can have a recruiting impact somewhere

>other than the metro St. Louis.

Agree that the hiring of assistants shouldn't be about race but about who can help the team the most. IMHO, a valid point about AB's impact, in the short-term, being a local phenomenon. Thus, I take the point to be that if we got a proven recruiter with a track record outside of the STL metro area, then our program will be better off in the long run as we are able to extend our recruiting base.

I don't know if SLU ever had a coach / asst. with more recruiting pull over a greater geographic reach than Lorenzo Romar. Still, his national recruiting strategy failed at SLU (although, to be fair, he might have succeeded had he put in more time at it). SLU basketball has always had to rely primarily on local talent and, then, augment with a few players beyond the local talent. Do we really think we are going to bring a proven recruiter in Texas or Ohio or Philadelphia and this guy is going to start getting us high quality recruits from those areas? I find that hard to believe. Bonner is still a legend locally and that's is why I would like to see us at least approach him about the possibility. Guys with great ties in the JUCO community are not the road to go IMHO. With the acedemic restrictions, SLU should not be a team that aspires to bring a JUCO player every year to fill out holes in the lineup. We'll never prosper that way.

I get the point you guys are making about bring in a recruiter with a broad set of contacts but I still think SLU lives or dies on the pull the assistant has within the greater metro area.

"Do we really think we are going to bring a proven recruiter in Texas or Ohio or Philadelphia and this guy is going to start getting us high quality recruits from those areas?"

I think it's quite probable. Wyoming, for example, has had a pipeline going to Chicago for years now. Wichita State has been cherry picking recruits out of Texas.

>"Do we really think we are going to bring a proven recruiter

>in Texas or Ohio or Philadelphia and this guy is going to

>start getting us high quality recruits from those areas?"

>

>I think it's quite probable. Wyoming, for example, has had

>a pipeline going to Chicago for years now. Wichita State

>has been cherry picking recruits out of Texas.

Put me in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.