Grimes - 7 Others May Be Leaving...

Schasz

Does SLU really want players from MU. MU would have lossed to SLU this year. MU would have lossed to Missouri State this year. SLU can do better than bringing transfers in from MU. I dont see the argument for bring them to SLU considering how bad MU was this year. Grimes wouldn't play hard enough for Coach.

still take any Missour high school graduate with a diploma despite or do they now require decent ACT or Sat scores as proof the kid has a chance if wants to attend classes?

any idea what we expect of MBB recruits versus same question

at Mizzou; I feel this would be a moot point at Illinois since they rank higher than us in most polls although they do offer bachelor's degrees in fine arts and physical education; but what about Missouri in particular and other state schools in the B12

I don't know enough about SLU's admission standards to say conclusively, but if I had to guess I would say that it's easier to get into Mizzou, because they accept more students on the whole.

I don't think the discrepancy in education between SLU and Mizzou is as wide (or even existent) as some on here would like to think, and as such I don't really think academics would be a real issue with the current tiger squad attending SLU.

I went to both Illinois and SLU and the textbooks and curricula

were on par; SLU forced all of the undergrads to take 4 courses

of philosophy and 3 courses of theology which could be marriage, old testament taught by a protestant and comparatve

religions taught by a Jesuit who led us to believe there were more similarities in Christian religions than reasons to fight about. I don't know if they still do that; but by the time you did those courses you felt you had a step up in brain power if not some moral tradition, The professors at SLU were verty dedicated even if teaching undergrad. At Illinois you had many more problems with professors so important they were tv classes to 400 in an auditorium or phd's with English as a second language and no teaching skills. To me the real differences were competiveness of the students; SLU makes a

real deal out of how the average ACT score has gone up in candidates and those accepted

>for a school to not grant a kid his release. If any of the

>Mizzou players decide to transfer I'd be shocked if they had

>to lose a year of eligibility to do so.

>

>I'm also not sure about your statement that a kid has to ask

>for permision to call any school after he announces he wants

>to transfer. Before he announces he wants to transfer, yes,

>but not after he says he wants to transfer.

a kid can call a school, but the school can not have any further contact with him until he is released by the school he is transferring from. He could contact SLU and say "I'm interested, are you" but that is it until SLU gets written permission from the present school. Often what will happen is that the player he tells his present school where he's interested in transferring to and the school and they send out notice to granting permission to that school (or list of schools).

Also, it rather commonplace for a school to release a player one school but not another.

>Yes, Mizzou could give him a full release according to the

>article and that would mean Grimes would not have to sit out

>next year.

Wrong. He'd have to sit out (year in residence rule, only waived if the school is dropping the sport or an exceptional circumstance) but he wouldn'tlose a year of eligibility while sitting out.

Cheesy, Mizzou wasn't known as the best party school in the country for years because of their scholastic bent. Playboy even retired the award in recognition of Mizzou student abilities.

I agree that students who max out at both schools will have minute differences, but there is a significant margin between a C student at SLU vs a C student at Mizzou.

>"Grimes fits, 6'9 260, powerful rebounder and explosive

>dunker."

>

> even if grimes would have warranted double the minutes

>played, he would have barely averaged 5 rpg. other than an

>impressive football body, he is one of the most under

>achieving players i have ever watched. and it has been that

>way ever since he has been in high school.

5 ppg ... and how many PPG did Ian V. average as a soph? I would be happy to have Grimes in Billiken Blue and then see how things turn out. I'm not enthralled with the idea of playing the 07-08 season with Bryce at center backed up by a freshman. This is where we are heading at present.

don't take this personally, I was only interested in finding out if

SLU was disadvantaged in basketball recruiting because some high school basketball players regard college as a nuisance until they get to the NBA and may not want to attend classes as the Post would you have believe about Ricky Clemons and to be fair Romar's Randy Pulley; I recall my classmate Rich Nieman, a 7 footer working very hard in school to get B's in classes we shared; I'm sure he was a wiz in Physics. After 8 years in the NBA he has been teaching high school science, physics, etc from what I understand.

cheesy, to initially get into the two institutions you are correct. slu will take the minimum ncaa quality recruit out of high school or prep school just like mi$$ouri. however the problem for slu is taking the transfer student. especially the juco kids. the ncaa has mandated that transfer students have to be on pace to graduate with their class. since slu does not have the broad range of majors to choose from as the typical 4 year university and since many jucos have their students enrolled in majors that seem to those that slu does not carry, that is where the problems come into play. coach soderberg has had two better juco recruits (brandon morris, who later went on to immediately play at wisconsin green bay and antwan alexander who then was accepted and played at new mexico) that qualified per ncaa standards that did not have the needed credits to transfer to slu and fit into an existing slu major.

in mi$$ouri's case, it is my understanding that a lot of the athletes seem to be enrolled in a hotel management program which is in the agriculture school (what hotel management has to do with agriculture i dont know). obviously slu doesnt have an agriculture school or a hotel management major. now maybe the student transferring in would have the needed credits to go into slu's business school. who knows. but the fact remains, the ncaa doesnt give a level playing field on the transfer issue.

it is my opinion that this rule is crap. it is another example where they made a rule thinking that it would only better the quality of student athletes, but this one ends up a huge benefit to the big schools. ironically, no rules can even be considered for revision without going through the ncaa rules committee of which the committee membership is heavily populated by the bcs schools that the rule obviously is biased towards. i.e. it aint gonna change.

I have a few friends who are Hotel and Restaurant Management majors, and I believe most of their credits are essentially transferable as business credits. I wasn't aware that it was a part of the ag school, especially because the classes they take are in no way agriculture related.

It's definitely a lesser business major.