USF in the Big East

What was the Big East's rationale for USF being in the BE?? I understand that from a geographical standpoint that Tampa is a good fit, but they might never win a conference game. I understand the rivalries between Marquette and DePaul with Notre Dame and they wanted to try to bring back the good ole' days of McGuire, Meyer and Digger, but really, who are they kidding?

Tampa/St. Pete does have a larger media market (12) compared to St. Louis' (21), but St. Louis beats Milwaukee (33), according to Neilson. I agree that we're better off in the A-10, but if SLU had made the 2003 Final Four instead of Marquette, would we have even been considered for the Big East? I just hate seeing the Big East logo on the courts at Marquette, DePaul and USF. They don't deserve it.

metzy, i would think the big east wants a florida presense for recruiting. especially football. it is my understanding that florida is a football hotbed. many kids like the idea that they will be guaranteed games back home when they play at south florida. so it would then become an advantage for the entire conference. plus, someone has to finish last and be the W for the rest of the teams.

First, I am a Marquette fan; but I like SLU basketball and cheer for the Billikens. I feel SLU has some of the best fans in the country, not just fans of a team because they are from the state that has a good state university( i.e. most of the Big12 and SEC).

Marquette is the 4th seed in the Big East with 3 freshman playing major rolls. I know MU belongs in the Big East!

MU success shows that SLU can compete/win against the likes of the Big East, B10, ACC, SEC and B12; because SLU beat MU, Depaul, UC and UofL in CUSA.

MU is in the Big East because we draw 14,000+ for games and we put $30 million into a practice facility(what XU spent on it's arena).

SLU needs to continue to spend money on the team and not give up like Loyola of Chicago.

I think you got on a role at the absolute best time in 2003. You might want to build a shrine on campus with Dewayne Wade as the centerpiece. Ala the grotto at ND. People lighting candles when Wade goes down with a slight ankle injury in game 6, etc. Stuff like that really boosts the MU spirit. People will leave copies of Tommy Boy on Chris Farley's birthday. It will be cool.

that final four appearance probably helped raise all that 30 mill and a new wardrobe for old Tommy Crean. You guys got the nifty Nike contract and cool gear with the swoosh on it. SLU's got the sweet "Rawlings" jerseys and "Champion" t-shirts. I like that Comcast makes the 90 min. trip up I-94 to do the Tom Crean show every week. You guys must be partying in the streets because you're in the Microsoft of basketball conferences. The Big East is killing NCAA basketball. Congratulations.

It's Big East this and Big East that. Syracuse this and ESPN that. Sean McDunough creams his pants when old Billy Raftery goes "Send it in!" Oh, gotta love that baby! If I have to sit through another telecast of Dave Ryan and/or Doris Burke talking about wanting to have an orgy at Big East media day with Jerry Wainright, Jim Calhoun and Rick Pitino, I'll drive my car off a cliff. You guys don't deserve the Big East. you caught lightning in a bottle called DeWayne Wade and made a GREAT showing in New Orelans at the Final Four...Kansas?? Yeah, I'd rather watch Coastal Carolina. Way to steal the "We Are Marquette" from the fine folks at Notre Dame or BC, whoever started it first. Thank Fr. Wild for being sure the cameras catch him at every home game and the great Al McGuire campfire stories...yeah. Thanks a lot. Just be glad you aren't USF.

... is close to greatness. The Big East might not survive in its current form, and SLU needs to be in position to move into the top basketball conference in the country.

The football schools might break off, but there are no good schools left to add for football, so this may not happen. But, should Pitt go to the Big 10/11; SLU would make a great addition to the Big East, if they make the commitment to the program.

Maybe wishfull thinking by me, but SLU, MU and G'town in a conference would be awsome.

Right now the Big East has 16 teams. Rumor is that they will split into two conferences-a football conference and a non-football conference. The whole point of taking every team into the Big East was to keep the BCS football money in the conference. They lost a lot of prestige with Miami, BC and VT leaving and some ADs feared they would lose the bonus money every year.

Roy,

Florida IS a high school football hotbed. And, S. Florida is a big school, ...some think a sleeping giant for football. It isn't so much to tell kids they can go play a game there...the idea is that S. Florida...and though not in the Big East, C. Florida can build some big football. HUGE schools. Football Football Football. And much progress has already been made at S Florida and C. Florida. C Florida wasn't even D-I long ago.

The Big East didn't lose any prestige in hoops. Football, where the money is larger, ...lost some sure, but Big East was hardly a great football conference. But, is in BCS.

As for the inclusion of those schools...simple....DePaul plays in 3rd largest market, has long tradition of hoops, as does Marquette....and S. Florida is there to play football, and the goal is to build a big time program at S. Florida...which is improving leaps and bounds each year.

Surely, USF was asked to join the league for football which at most top universities is the No.1 revenue producer. USF hasn't been playing football all that long and they are an up and coming program. They played in their first bowl game this past season. Florida is one of the top recruiting states year in and year out for college football programs. The HC at USF Jim Leavitt appears to be a solid HC. No question that the basketball team has been a mess, and this year was no exception; however, they do have a decent on campus facility and with over 40K students and plenty of interested Alumni living in the metro area I would never say never when it comes to them putting a good product on the floor.

Heck I did not realize until I opened up the St. Pete Times Forum this morning that the Bulls did not go 0 fer in the BE as they beat Georgetown yesterday at home with 6K in attendance. Woolard said earlier in the week that he would stick with Robert McCullum for another year, but unless there is a pretty big turn around USF may be shopping for a new HC next year.