Soderberg's Show Tonight

Billinikens

didnt we lose to wake in that ncaa first round game? i recall it was close, but i thought we lost. however the next year we did beat minnesota in the first round of the tourney if my memory serves me correctly.

Both games were in Baltimore in the 2nd NCAA trip. I remember this well because I was there after flying all night to get to the first day. SLU basically had 2 sections, one downstairs and one upstairs at the Baltimore Arena, which reminded me of a newer version of Old Kiel Auditorium.

Round 1 was an OT winner over Minnesota on Thursday afternoon. First, I could not believe the Billikens and we were even there. (My 4 undergraduate years coincided with the regrettable Ron Ekker Era, but that is another story.) Talk about a natural high after that Round 1 victory. The whole team mobbed itself on the court. As you all probably know, Baltimore is a very Catholic city, and the Billikens were the talk of the Inner Harbor that night.

Round 2 was against Wake Forest, which as I recall was the #2 seed in that East Regional, including Tim Duncan, then a Sophomore and the Senior guard, Childress. Billy Packer was down there courtside. We were completely surrounded in ACC Country. SLU led that game 16-0 out of the shoot. I tried to take a picture in near shock, but had run out of film! But Wake eventually prevailed 64-59 in a very close game.

The difference in the officiating in the two games was stark. In Game 1 it seemed as if we were playing with the Big Ten football rulebook. In Game 2 the ACC touch foul rules were used. It is a trip that we will never forget.

No, our first year with Dobbs we lost to MD in the opening round at Wichita. I was at that game and that was the year H had food poisoning and had an off game. We had no answer for Joe Smith.

The next year we won the first round game VS MN and then lost a relatively close game VS Wake and they did have Duncan. I had a bet with a Wake grad as he gave me the points and we did beat the point spread.

I agree with what other people are saying about whatever is going on between JJ & Coach is probably gonna stay that way (whether we want it to or not), but I do agree with you, Nashville, in saying that we really do deserve an explanation. He is a force to be reckoned with (when he wants to be).

There are so many factors to support each side of the argument--on one side: if JJ isn't following the rules and standards set by the coaching staff, that should cut down his playing time (so that he does not affect the other players' attitudes towards the coachs' instructions); on the other hand: when he's on point, it's hard to stop him...On the one side: he's not consistent; on the other: when he's on point, it's hard to stop him.

We can speculate til we're blue in the face, but it's about time we heard something about it. If coach doesn't tell us, I'm still going to try and ask around and get some answers.

And I think what is driving everyone into a tizzy about this, me included, is that SLU has such a glaring need at the power forward position and no real alternative to JJ. We don't want to lose to also rans like Dayton; we can't afford to lose to inferior teams like that if we want to reach our post-season aspirations, at least the NIT. SLU was able to mask the hole for a while and put together a 3 game winning streak, but Brian Gregory seemed to know exactly what to do at the start of the second half on Saturday. His team went right to Plummer, an average player at best. And SLU had no answer for it.

Ulimately, we all want the same thing. We are all SLU fans and want our Billikens to win.

Ask Brad if anyone on his staff knows of a good offense SLU can run. If they don't ask Brad to ask one of his assistants to go to the School library and check out a book on How to run a Division 1 Basketball Offense.

SLU won't beat any good teams scoring only 44 points in a game. Heck they won't beat any bad teams(Dayton)either scoring only 44 points.

And another thing if JJ was good enough to play against Gonzaga and NC surely he is good enough to play against Dayton. Thats why this experiment with Meyer at the 4 is a farce. He can't play the four against anyone with any size. So quit the La Russa like experiment and start playing JJ so when we play games against lower division teams he is prepared.

About half of the show and one guy was upset at the low scores and mentioned that SLU-Dayton was the lowest score of 150 games. Gee this guy has more time on his hand than I do. Coach Soderberg said he is not going to run just to get our score up.

Another guy went on about Dwyane but did ask why Coach Soderberg did not use Justin when Luke was getting manhandled...I think he just chose not to comment on JJ...not a good sign for him getting off the pine anytime soon. It was good getting to hear some of the show tonight. He wants to run and will when he feels we have the athletes to do it.

"Even if he wants to its hard to pad your stats from the

pine".

Exactly. Look at JJ's last 5 games:

8 total minutes vs St Joes

0 minutes vs Fordham

4 rebounds 2 blks in only 7 minutes vs Rhode Island

1 minute vs Xavier

0 minutes vs Dayton

Very hard to develop some kind of consistency when you are not playing regularly.

Yes, I thought someone had earlier thought it would be on at 5 central time and that is drive home time for me. I got home and did stream into KFNS and heard the old carpe diem guy who was after Alden last night big time.

I got to listen to almost half of last nights show in between trying to eat a little dinner with my lovely wife. I'll try and remember to listen again as I enjoyed hearing what Coach had to say. The fact that he did skirt the JJ issue speaks volumes about the relationship he has with that kid.

We will run we we have the athletes. What a bunch of %$%*$%#.

Who's fault is it that we don't have the players to run? I will give you two guesses and the first one doesn't count.

What do you call TL,DB,KL,DP and JJ. Heck for that matter all Meyer did at Borgia was run for four years. Soderberg will never run it is not in his nature. It's all about defense he said so again last night on the radio show. What is the saying about changing the stripes on a Zebra?

Ulimately were this hurts is in recruiting. What kid today wants to play for a team that scores in the 40's?

Something else makes me made as a SLU fan. Does Brad owe the people that come and support the Bills an explanation on JJ? It's Brad's right to play whomever he wants but as fans when we lose games because of no strong PF presence and we have one sitting on the bench...Can we at least have an explanation?