Danny Wynn taken in supplemental round

Thank you.

Good for him...and a built in STL comfort zone in New England...with:

Taylor Twellman(SLUH, Maryland)

Pat Noonan(DeSmet, Indiana)

Brian Ralston(Oakville, Florida International)

I really think he landed in a favorable spot.

Wynn has a lot of upside as a speedy wing back defender.

If he will embrace defender. Just from what I have observed watching Danny I have always gotten the impression he wants to be up front. Understand that I have no real basis for that opinion, so I'm not saying it's true, just a feeling I get watching him.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I agree skip. Wynn made great runs with the ball from the back many times last year but I'm not sure that he would be as successful being as offensively-geared as a fullback in the MLS. Good for him though. That kid never gave up on a guy on a defense and was one bright spot last year.

For some of you soccer junkies, a player like Wynn, how much and what would be the conditions of a contract the Revolution would give him?

You read about players like Beckham and what Real Madrid is paying him but the Revolution is no Real Madrid and he's no Beckham.

Also, I noticed he is going into his senior year. Are the advantages of going now (other then possible injury) much different if he waited a year? He**, his scholarship from SLU is worth about $35,000 and he will getting his degree.

Tarheel

"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the

impersonators would be dead."

Danny graduates this year so I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm not an expert about this stuff but I would assume that the Revolution might have him play in the A league or for the reserve team. IF he shows well, maybe he gets a chacne with the main team. Money wise, MLS doesn't pay anything compared to other top leagues in other countries.

I can be more specific later....but approximates are these:

MLS salary cap per team is in the 1.8 to 2.1 million category. Meaning on most teams maybe a couple of 200k guys...maybe a few 300k guys...that is it. Landon Donovan makes 900k as top player, then Freddy Adu at 500k.

In 2004:

Dipsy Selouwane made 26k in Chicago

Taylor Twellman made 115k up from low 100's

Steve Rlaston made over 200k.

Pat Noonan made 50k up form 39k...and I believe 72k for 2005

Chris Klein made in low 145k range

Brian McBride made 341k

These are all base salaries. Twellman and Noonan received big raises again in 2005.(and are superstars who are closing in on 200k) McBride went to EPL world's best league...for its level of play, prestige, and a lot more money.

barely make the team guys or developmental guys make 25k-40k.

Usually approx 18 players per MLS team....top 4-8 players make wide six figure range, then another 4-5 make 50k range and up...then the rest make 20's, 30's 40's..

Comparing some of the top world teams and leagues mentioned is like comparing high school ball to the NBA....or low level minor leagues to MLB. You can't ven begin to comapre. The VERY BEST MLS players....very few...could play in world's top leagues....and some do. Not long ago zero MLS players could make a team let alone start and be a top player like a MCBride or Claudio Reyna.

Players also can receive bonus money...and receive additional money if the train with and play with the U.S. National team.

A good upper tier MLS player can make 6 figures...very few make more than that...meaning top players on their teams...and those guys can get up to 200k 300k.....these are proven National team players and superstars.

Players in world's top leagues can make 7 figures and up.

David Beckham ...mentioned above signed a 4 year $41 million deal with Real Madrid in 2004. Off the field with endorsements etc...he makes closer to $40 million PER YEAR. .....as opposed to the $10 million a year or so for just playing.

SLU grad Brian McBride...went fro m341k in Columbus to almost signing with Blackburn od EPL(English Premier League)...but if Blackburn was relegated..(which means sent down to next highest division league)...the bottom few teams do this each year in the EPL)...Blackburn wanted to void his contract.,..McBride didn't like that clause ...he would have made $1.1-$1.5 million a year at Blackburn...he instead signed a two and a half year deal with Fulham of EPL, at $1.8 million per year. The guy he replaced transferred to Manchester United for a fee of $20 million. The EPL is sort of like Major League baseball money-wise...some Yankees and some teams that can't buy players. I believe Manchester United's team worth is $ 1billion for example.

When MLS league players, go to EPl to play...for example....the league gets paid a fee for someone like McBride leaving. I believe the fee paid to MLS for McBride was $2million.

McBride has been terrific and extremely popular for Fulham.

Don't kid yourself...a LOT of MLS guys just trying to make rosters are making $25k-$40k. If they become elite team then league players their pay goes up steadily. You prove yourself after a couple of years to be a steady sound player...and you make more. Big differences in what people can make.

Wynn would make around $26k to start, my guess, if he makes it. Most D-I college players don't even get that chance.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you...Tarheel...about don't quit your day job. Sure you can earn more in other professions....but....

To be able to get paid for playing a sport professionally....sure....it isn't even a discussion. In a heartbeat.

Sure the low end very young guys , and developmental guys make an amount you would rather not make for very long...but we are talking young 20 somethings...makibg 20' 30's 40's.....in a heartbeat. Some solid veteran players making 50k...

A midlevel vteran player making 50k....in a heartbeat.

Maybe your comment was just a joke or something. But if I am a young man and I have the opportunity to make big bucks at Joe Business job or get a 26k chance to play in MLS, ...I'm playing MLS. It isn't even an issue.

You can always do something else later in life when you are finished.

As I said maybe I misunderstood your commments...

These guys train year round..this is their day job, and what a great one it is imo.

Danny's size as an outside back isn't that big of a deal. His speed is much more of a positive than his size is a negative. US soccer in general is really lacking speed overall on the back line. Danny needs to embrace his role as a defender and work on getting stronger. Danny has the potential to be good just needs more work and time as a defender.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Easily agreed Skip.

I know some of thses guys who play...it isn't a question of whether or not to play. Indoor soccer is a bit different....but these days a lot of indoor guys also play outdoor in the A league...the notch below MLS...so that they can play year round soccer indoors and out....and the combined income is enough to live on.

I had a cup of coffee so to speak and took my athletics as far as I could post college. To this day my biggest regret if I have one, was not training as hard as I should have in off-seasons at younger ages...I did sometimes, but not all of the time.

If you think players don't get much...try being a coach. Usually D I colleges can only pay one full time assistant....and many still don't do this. SLU, ofr example ONLY started doing this in past 8 years or so. I know a local STL guy, played in college D-I in SLU's old conference, was an assistant for a few years at his alma mater....basically for free, then a little more, then a little more...he had another job...too...then left to go to Patriot league, lesser level of play but still D-I, ....because he was named number one assistant, and it was more money. He moved across the country with his new wife...he met the coach because the new head coach there worked in his city at another school and they were friends through youth coaching....after he puts in some time there....who knows?

It isn't a flashy great lifestyle...but you work hard, and hope to run your own gig one day.

Even Mike Martz formerly Rams coach in football once libed on powdered milk, zero money...etc...when he was in coaching. You really must have a passion and commitment to coach...helps to play at decent level to ease into your start as assistant....but doesn't have to be....

Players have it much easier. 26k, no problem.

Another buddy of mine is top assistant at another school...he is extremely smart and well educated...top school...etc...he makes little money, but loves it...he could do anything else he wanted.

Money is nice, and I amsure everybody would love to have a lot of it....but it isn't everything. How many doctors, lawyers etc LOVE what they do and would do it for free or for fun every day???

How about these basketball kids...somebody will pay you $50k $100 k to play ball in Europe after college? Get to see the world for years....easy decision.

I found this info below to pass on...for example...Jackie Jewsbury made the $850 a month...then became full time KC player making the old min. $24k....now with Klein traded, he has a chnace to get more time, and money....not bad for a 5th rounder. Jewsbury did camps, appearances, etc...to supplement his income when a developmental player.

Each team has approx up to 10 developmental players...that don't include the 18 on roster. Many of them play A league on loan for playing time...Jewsbury did this briefly for example.

Under the new CBA full roster players minimum pay will 28K in 2005 and grandually go up to 34K by 2009.

Developmental players were making $850/month and will now make $975/month in 2005 and up to $1175 by 2009.

Senior development players were making $1250 and will now make $1375 and $1575 by 2009.

Developmental players will have beneifts for the first time under the new agreement also

Courtside, I was just wondering about your background since you seem to be pretty knowledgable about the soccer scene, both college and pro. I coach a couple teams here in St. Louis - one club, one cyc - and its definetly a rewarding experience, regardless of wins or losses.