Morrison Quote....

TheGoat

"former alums and season ticket holders who dumped them because of the move to the A10"

Now that is the best example of "cutting off one's nose to spite one's face" that I have heard in a long time!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is if it wasnt true, then we would be getting those crowds all the time. the billikens used to do that. in 1995, we drew over 20,000 for both austin peay and alcorn state!

like i said, if we even approach 15k weds and friday, then i will credit the st louis casual fan for biting on the billikens. but i am betting chicago state will again be a game i can yell across the arena to skip to buy me a beer.

i doubt it is true. if it is, they really werent billiken fans anyway. at least not ones with any brains about the big picture.

to slander kim tucci, who is one of the most loyal supporters of the billiken program is absurb. who do you think pays for those pasta house commercials on ccin? do you think they list the pasta house as a major corporate sponsor just because it is a favorite restaurant of father biondi? get a clue. and while you are at it, you really should apologize to a man that truly makes a difference when it comes to the billikens.

A couple come to mind ... Rupp Arena. The Carrier Dome. Freedom Hall. University of Dayton (speaking of which, check out their home non-conference schedule this year). Comcast Center (sold out for Maryland/American last night). Notre Dame football. Tennessee football. Last five years JoePa has done crap at Penn State; they ADDED seats. FedEx Field on the pro ranks. Gonzaga. I think there are many more than I can think of right now. Maybe its a city phenomena because I can also name many programs like ours .. Georgetown. Seton Hall. St. John's.

If we break half-full against Chicago State, I'd be stunned. Iowa .. that should be easy but it won't come anywhere near Gonzaga. I think Gonzaga is the Slippery Rock and Morehead State of the 2000'2 .... funky college stuff to have.

Maybe its a city

>phenomena because I can also name many programs like ours ..

>Georgetown. Seton Hall. St. John's.

>

you have it - it is a city thing. When you have a majority of the population in a metropolitan area that didn't go to the "local school" and another large segment who isn't from the area then they aren't going to go just to see the "home team" unless they're incredibly successful and it's the "in" thing to do or to see some big name team that rarely comes to down. Particularly when there is competition for their entertainment dollar (and advantage Creighton and Dayton have in drawing crowds in a city - no competition). St. Louis is a city where people talk more about where they went to HS than college, and many life-long STL folks went away to college then came home so they don't have that connection to SLU.

I agree with a lot of that. Instead of trying to serve the St. Louis area with the new arena, I'd rather serve our actual fan base, which is probably somewhere around 10k. We were the flavor of the month here in town during the Spoon days, but I think the last few years have shown how large our true fan base really is.