Gonzaga Game Strategy

Billinikens

Now that we've gotten Kennesaw St. over with, we're on to the real deal. Here's a few concerns I have about the challenge the 'Zags present, curious how you all think we'll deal with them....

1. Too much size to go with four guards, which I assume relegates KL to the bench for JJ. Problem with JJ is I don't see him running with Morrison all over the court and that would put him on Mallon. Mallon playing more on the perimeter seems to defeat the purpose of starting the extra big since he'll be away from the rim on rebounds (and opens us up to Morrison getting some loose boards).

2. I've seen a lot of teams this year guard the post by putting their big behind and drop a guard in front to stop entry passes. However, all 4 other 'Zags can stroke it from deep so doing that opens us up for the 3 ball. Not doing that leaves Ian on an island with Batista. Seems like a dilemma.

3. Our best athlete, and the one I think most likely to have success guarding Morrison is Liddell. I feel he's struggled offensively, though, in games where he has had to lock down the opposing teams big threat. If he's effective on Morrison, it may be worth the decrease in offensive production. But then again, without his baskets I'm not sure where scoring will come from.

4. Referring back to #1 above and referencing some of the post-game threads from today, taking KL out of the starting lineup removes the 3 point threat that can help open up our offensive end. Are DP and AD enough on the perimeter?

5. Always my biggest concern coming into games this year.....IV foul trouble. If they pound it early to Batista and send Morrison driving into the lane a couple of times early, they could get IV out before he gets going. He's gotta play really smart Thursday.

Just some of my many concerns. Any thoughts on how to neutralize these issues.....I don't envy Brad's task this week.

Go Bills!

Our best athlete, and the one I think most likely to have

success guarding Morrison is Liddell. I feel he's struggled

offensively, though, in games where he has had to lock down

the opposing teams big threat. If he's effective on

Morrison, it may be worth the decrease in offensive

production. But then again, without his baskets I'm not

sure where scoring will come from.

Tommie's struggles when he guarding an imposing PF. I think he would do fine guarding Morrison as far as foot speed, however Morrison is very crafty and might bait Tommie into some silly fouls. If he gets into early trouble it may take him out of the flow of the game ala Ole Miss.

Stopping Zaga from scoring is gonna be tough. They are getting their points against anyone this year. I think our only shot at winning is we play our best offensive game of the year. SI said if there is one knock on the Zags it's their defense. That said, do we have a chance....well, you always have a chance, but a slim one. Who knows, maybe they go cold in the Savvis. Probably won't happen, but I'd like to see us keep Zaga on the schedule every year, start a little Jebby rivalry with them. They'd be a hell of a yardstick to measure our progress.

The problem with keeping them on the schedule every year is that they are too far away to warrant a single game when you have to go up there - you will really be scheduling to games and I am not sure I like the idea of playing to games that far away for us at this time in our development. Look what happened this year with so many away games bunched together. Until we get our own arena we have to be careful not to put a schedule together that does what it did this year. With our own arena, we could assure a more balanced travel/home schedule.