Alex Tyus Discussion by Illini Fans

Billinikens

when the tyus rumors that he was considering slu started a few months back i was "i'll believe it when i see it".

then it was reported he was at billiken madness and i thought, "hell maybe his time in cincy has him thinking studying away from home isnt all it cracked up to be".

but when the interview came out on the recruiting site where he didnt even bother to list us in his list of prospective schools came out, i am officially back to "i'll believe it when i see it".

too many of the big schools are likely already in his head telling him why it is beneath him to go anywhere but their school. i hope we arent missing other opportunities chasing our next kalen grimes.

Maybe the issue is people are talking to him and not his father. I wonder if his father has any big sway over him? I know when you talk to a kid about where they want to go to school they all often start naming big schools far away and then when it gets closer to the decision time, Dad who has simply let the kid talk up to now often drops the bomb about money, distance, etc. and all of a sudden a school close by jumps up and becomes the choice. Not sure if this is the case with Tyus - just a thought.

From the write up on him, he sounds as though if he attends a prime timer, he won't be a starter but a reliable backup. That wasn't a "can't miss" report. Can't figure out why he'd consider UW. They got that big kid this year, Brockman or something, and then they got that other kid next year both PF types. Both are MCD AA's...big time MCD AA's. Man, SLU is tailor made for this kid. He's a starter from day 1, in a decent conference that will hang with the majors, albeit at the bottom rung, get's a good education, and hopefully plays in a jam packed on campus arena that adores him. Will we get him? probably not. Unless he and his dad are giving everyone a huge head fake coupled with a mean cross over. Thing that is bothersome was his new coach and the "we like(take your pick______________)" verbage. This guy would probably like nothing better than to point to Alex and say "I got him into Arizona, think what I can do for you."