'Zags winning basket

bonwich

Read this article....http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=253442250

"Oh, by the way: Morrison said he called "bank" on his latest money shot. "I had the angle," he said.

This kid is going to be such a matchup problem for us. I really do not have any clue whatsoever who will guard or attempt to guard him. We will see I guess.

I don't know much in the way of stats (he looks like he is about 6'6"), but I have seen the highlights on him. Wow! The kid is quick, can slash and can hit from outside. He is going to be big time trouble for us.

He is 6'8" and can hit the 3. I've heard several comparisons to Larry Bird even though that is one of the few NBA legends you don't like to compare players to. As of right now he is averaging 28.5 points per game while shooting 54% from the field and while not exactly eye popping shooting 37% from three. He can handle the ball which makes it difficults to put a bigger person on him and with his size he too big to put drejaj on him. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Newbourne guard him last year? I don't remember exactly, but with the roster we have I would either put him on Morrison or else just throw drejaj on him and see what happens. It really is a toss up, but I'm sure Brad will put the best possible matchup on him. I'd say the way he's playing right now if we hold him under 30 that would be an accomplishment.

moves very well without the ball, is able to get his shot off quickly. If I were the coach for a last second play TL would be on him to challenge his 3pt shot. I am concerned about how well TL will be able to guard him throughout the game though.

I think they can be taken down and it is not so much that we have to stop morrison but keep him in the 20 pt range and not allow him to torch us for 40+. Ravio is the key to that team, will he be able to play against us? IF he does then Drejaj, Lisch Polk will have their hands full.

we have no one that will stop morrison. liddell i assume is the closest sizewise to matchup. but to be honest, i would put drejaj and lisch on him. it really doesnt matter, we wont stop morrison.

the better defense for gonzaga imo is to hold morrison to about 30 and then hope to stop the rest of the team. batista will be imo a bigger challenge to ian than hansborough because batista is stronger and will challenge him more for rebounds. pargo has really looked good thus far as well. and the starting point guard, ravio, just doesnt make many mistakes.

we did get a break when their projected pf, josh heytvelt, got hurt. (fyi, for those of you wondering where you heard josh's name from, maybe you remember him as the center of the univ of wash probation problems. this is the kid that coach dollar got in trouble recruiting for romar.)

the guy who is starting at pf in his place is sean mallon. sean is not a physical guy. so that gives us a size advantage imo with justin johnson imo.

it will be interesting to watch the two coaches match up with moves.

i watched the game saturday vs ok state, who once again is loaded with sheer talent and size. on paper, gonzaga shouldnt compete with teams like ok state imo, but morrison is quite the equalizer. amazing kid.

morrison trivia. he is a serious diabetic. which makes what he does even more amazing.