last year's academic records of the ind sports

i had read on the cincy board where they were taking credit for the highest gpa for men's basketball last season. i knew that wasnt right, but i couldnt find the press release anywhere. i sent off an e-mail to cusa asking for the academic breakdown by sport and i received the following response today from a russ anderson of the cusa offices:

C-USA ANNOUNCES INSTITUTIONAL EXCELLENCE, SPORT ACADEMIC AWARDS

CHICAGO – Conference USA named the recipients of its Institutional Excellence Award and Sport Academic Awards, Commissioner Britton Banowsky announced today.

The Institutional Excellence Award is given to the C-USA institution with the highest grade point average during the current academic year for all student-athletes in conference sponsored sports. Saint Louis University earned the award for the eighth consecutive year with a grade point average of 3.24.

The Sport Academic Award is given to the team in each conference-sponsored sport with the highest grade point average for the current academic year. DePaul and Saint Louis each posted the highest grade point average in five different sports to lead all C-USA schools. Following is a list of the Sport Academic award honorees:

Sport Recipient GPA

Baseball Saint Louis 3.13

Men’s Basketball Saint Louis 2.72

Women’s Basketball Saint Louis 3.08

Men’s Cross Country DePaul 3.36

Women’s Cross Country UAB 3.67

Football Tulane 2.60

Men’s Golf Tulane 3.50

Women’s Golf Louisville 3.57

Men’s Soccer DePaul 3.14

Women’s Soccer Saint Louis 3.56

Softball South Florida 3.37

Women’s Swimming & Diving Saint Louis 3.37

Men’s Tennis South Florida 3.45

Women’s Tennis DePaul 3.68

Men’s Track and Field DePaul 3.15

Women’s Track and Field DePaul 3.47

Volleyball Southern Miss 3.43

- ConferenceUSA.com -

i thought it was great that of the 18 sports, 10 were led academically by either saint louis or depaul. i fail to see our cincy friends mentioned.

... but given your posting of this release, how do they believe they can say it? I offered an opinion on the Cincy CUSA talkboard and got creamed (despite nice words from UCTom) during the dark days that this board was down. I don't go trolling over there now anymore since we're back up and running so I haven't seen any resolution on the debate.

i am sure (yeah right) our good friends gruehls and naticat will see this string and go back to the bearcat masses and fix their propaganda.

i agree they won the previous season for men's basketball. however on the cincy board at cusa-talk.com, they are claiming cincy had the highest gpa last season as well.

down boys, down. no one at bearcat central is contesting slu's supremacy in all things academic. the thread roy refers to on the uc board was prepared, over time, by uc's sports info director and lance mcalister, a local radio sports talk host. i don't when they started or whether the reference objected to was correct when they began, or is a typo, but it clearly is not correct now as slu's hoopsters hold the honor from last year.

still, the overall info does challenge commonly held and expressed opinions about the uc basketball program sooooooo, here it is in its entirety:

Thank Lance McAlister, who compiled this with Brian Teter. I'm posting this with his permission:

The following are notes and facts that I have compiled and listed with the help of UC SID Brian Teter, the UC media guide and calls to the NCAA. I will be sending this to as many Big East writers as I can by email. I decided rather than complain about lazy members of the media ripping UC's graduation rates without facts, that I would provide the media and fans with facts. I will update the info when appropriate.

UC BASKETBALL: Image and graduation notes and facts

Fact: 7 of the last 11 UC senior basketball players have graduated: 64%

Fact: 2 Seniors on this year's team are on schedule to graduate on time, and one will graduate early.

Fact: In Bob Huggins 14 seasons at UC, 23 players have graduated, 20 of whom he recruited.

Fact: Six years ago UC instituted the Recall Program, which encourages all student-athletes who leave to play professionally and did not complete their degree, to return to UC and finish, with assistance provided by UC.

Fact: Last year, UC's basketball team had the top cumulative grade point average in CUSA.

Fact: According to the 2002 NCAA report, covering freshmen entering in 1995-96, 61-percent of UC's student-athletes graduated in the alloted 6 year window. That is UC's highest mark since the NCAA began the reporting process.

Fact: UC's 61% rate for all student athletes is higher than the national average (60%) and higher than the rate for all UC students (57%)

Fact: The grad rate for UC men's basketball for the 2002 NCAA report is 100%

Fact: During the 2001-02 academic year, UC men's basketball won the CUSA Sports Academic Award for the league's best GPA.

Fact: Four members of last year's team completed their undergraduate degrees over the summer: Rodney Crawford, Jimmy Hubbard, Donald Little and Leonard Stokes.

***Bearcat Graduates under Bob Huggins (23)

Steve Sanders, BA Communications Art, '90

Benjamin Ward, BS Criminal Justice '92

Michael Reicheneker, BS Criminal Justice, '92

Andre Tate, BS Criminal Justice, '92

Keith Starks, BS Criminal Justice, '92

Anthony Buford, BA Economics, '92

Jeff Scott, BS Sociology, '93

Erik Martin, BS Criminal Justice, '93

Keith Gregor, BA Health Promotions, '96

Terry Nelson, BA Liberal Arts/Social Sciences, '98

Terrance Davis, BS Criminal Justice, '98

Jackson Julson, BA Communications, '99

Keith Legree, BS Criminal Justice, '99

Levertis Robinson, BS Criminology, '97

Rodrick Monroe, BS Criminal Justice, '97

Ryan Fletcher, BS Criminal Justice, '00

Donald Little, BS Liberal Arts.Social Sciences, '02

Rodney Crawford, BS Criminal Justice, '02

Leonard Stokes, BS Liberal Arts/Social Sciences, '02

Jimmy Hubbard, BS Criminal Justice, MA Labor and

Employee Relations, '03

Taron Barker, BS Criminal Justice, '03

Derek Hollman, BS Criminal Justice, '03

Rod Flowers, BS Liberal Arts/Social Sciences, '03

In all fairness, Porridge Boy, I think that several of the regulars on this board -- our occasional references to the team's higher-than-average need for members of your profession notwithstanding -- have actually defended Huggie & Co. in posts over the past year or so, having been provided (by you, Naticat, etc.) solid data indicating that the Bearcats actually do graduate (now) at a quite acceptable rate.

This doesn't condone your own waste of a good Jesuit education nor your league with Satan, however.