SLU soccer loses to GW 2-0

pakapablo

This is a low point. Since I have been posting on this site I have noted that since Bob W. left, the team has been sliding. Sure the team had a nice run in Donnigan's first years but those were all of Bob's recruits. I know many of you did'nt like Warming but things sure have changed. Dan is a good guy, I think we all can agree on that, but the program has slipped. I know the coaching staff and most in the athletic department considered the A10 as a joke in soccer. Seems like the joke was on us!!

...and once again, I will be objective pointing out to you that Donigan recruited those players as an assistant coach, and some other good ones he recruited after Warming left. These are "two" mediocre" seasons, and it has long been debated why. Donigan vs Warming is NOT the answer to SLU's problems, but thanks for playing. As most on here know I am "very" objective when it comes to SLU soccer and most anything else. And I am as fairly tough on Donigan as anyone...but I am going to have to point out the many positives you seem to skip over...like sure a couple of national quarterfinals...in which SLU was screwed on home field advantage...just ask regular posters, Skip, Sluballs, etc...in which SLU was a game from Final Four and lost close ones on road...possible different story at home, and everyone knows final four is even steven. With that said, making the quarterfinals and finishing top ten are exceptional results, not the old...let's skip over it it quickly to point out the negatives. And before anyone else wants to jump in and say the hoops team would kill for those results...that is apples to oranges...expectations are higher for men's soccer based on past, recent and current state of the program.

In all actuality GW was a pre-season ranked team and has solid talent. That game was going to be their toughest conference game, more so than Duquesne. Losing to them on the road was always going to be a possibility.

If you want to debate specifics, that'd be fine. Throwing out wild generalizations without any sort of specifics or support for what you say, doesn't bode well for the credibility of your repeated tired posts on Warming v Donigan.

SLU needs someone who can control the game in the midfield, and they need an elite finisher. I'll take their other guys...and a healthy good keeper...and I'd do well with that team.

Don't you think this team would be "a little" better if it didn't lose so many key players to the pros? Weren't we #1 in the preseason poll last year before Vedad left us? Plus we've had other underclassmen who have jumped since then.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

I would disagree that "all" the best soccer programs lose their best players prior to graduation. This simply isn't true. Ibisevic left in late summer just before the start of the season and certainly caught everyone off guard.

As far as "time for a change"...first, it is never going to happen this year. Donigan would be on the hot seat if SLU didn't make the NCAA's and be a strong club next year. Despite the long SLU soccer tradition, the little revenue sport of soccer means it will take more than two mediocre seasons for a head coach to lose his job. A LOT of strong college programs have "bad" years in soccer. ...a LOT...

Flying off of the handle is silly. The post above mentioned tying LaSalle for example...sure a disappointing result...but I suppose it was a disappointing result for Indiana to tie SLU this year or when SLU rolled ranked SMU as well for a lopsided win? Can't have it both ways.

Nothing will be done to Donigan after this season, and nothing should. With most of the young team returning for next year, a year in which SLU will host the Final Four under Donigan's watch...expectatons will be deservedly high. If SLU isn't a top 25 club, NCAA club next season...I would entertain more debate as to the direction of the program after next season, but not until then.

I agree with Courtside ... tell me the other programs that lost the Nat'l freshman of the year and All American to the pros after his freshman year and right before the start of the season with no time to replace him ... then the following year lose 2 USA U20 Nat'l team players to the pros after their freshman and sophmore seasons? Not many if any.

Despite this SLU is still a good team ... a great team ... NO. Give it a chance.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman