irons takes shot at the billikens

oh i am sure your not being a billiken fan factors into my dislike for you, but i think the way you treated steve factors in more.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MUFAN, you got to agree, that something doesn't add up here. If you look at this kid's academic history and his failure at SLU, it would seem odd that his academic ambition jumped up all of a sudden and he was able to take on the load he did and be successful at it, especially during the summer months. Regardless if it was correspondence classes or not. It would take an incredible amount of time, intelligence, discipline, etc. All of which this kid hasn't shown before.

Oh I don't doubt that it's suspicious. I've said it's possible he cheated all along- But some people on this board seem to have condemned him from the start, simply because he wears tiger black and gold. I think it would be more fair to accept the NCAA (and FBI) investigation on the matter, than take the personal opinion of tigerboarders or billikens.com-ites.

i am discussing the fact he earned 24 hours in 6 weeks time. had he needed one class to get into missouri and took the byu correspondence course, i am fine with it. but 24 credit hours in a summer school session is unreasonable. yes i dont like that most were earned via correspondence courses, but it doesnt matter to me how they were taken, my whole b!tch is that that many hours were earned in such a short period of time. the fact you have the vast majority as well being earned simply by having jessica bunge taking tests on line while he was in the other room watching roots or the game show channel only makes it more the reason it should have been disallowed by everyone that has examined the scenario.

mufan, if you were here last year, you would know that we questioned chris massie passing 24 credit hours the first semester last year to become eligible at memphis as well. i.e. it has nothing to do with it being missouri as to why we are outraged. but it doesnt surprise me that as a typical tiger fan you have that belief.

mu said,

"Mizzou is not well known for any sort of academic fraud, and pending the finalization of this NCAA investigation, it doesn't seem as though we will be known for any sort of academic fraud."

actually as of now, that is what missouri is noted for nationwide thanks to this debacle. and unfortunately for you and the rest of the tiger fandom, it will now follow the program for a long long time. people still characterize unlv as a cheater school even though tarkanian has been gone for years. cincy gets rapped everywhere for problems it created 10 years ago. sorry, the tigers will now be lumped in that group for a long time unless missouri would stand up and do the decent things to prove they are not going to let that happen at missouri. however if they were going to take those steps they would have done it by now. they are instead playing the "they have no proof" card and hoping that no one caves under pressure. but that wont erase the stigma that has already been put on the school.

MU Fan is very true in his statement: "If you think we in anyway embarassed steve, then you obviously haven't seen steve in some of the situations I have. It was all in good fun, and if I were a billikens fan you would have forgotten about it when steve said to."

You were also correct that most of the time I get a lot of respect around here (more than I deserve), and it isn't accepted to attack me. But the rules don't really apply I think to MU. It is sort of a different situation, of someone coming on the Board who knew me first, instead of the other way around.

It was all in fun, MU, Vis, and I have all spoken, and Vis, another friend, and I have all agreed to go pick up MU from Mizzou at break. The relationship I have with them is much different. I act differently around teenagers than I do 40+ year olds. I mean, it is just a different type of relationship. Some of the things I do with MU I would never do with Roy, and vise versa. While it may seem odd for the definition of friends, MU, Vis and everyone in our little group makes fun of each other. Trust me, what I got yesterday was pretty light in comparison, but since we all do it, we are all comfortable with it, it works.

What happened yesterday was just something that hasn't happened before. While it may be hard to understand, do not worry, I laughed at the situation yesterday, and I apologize for the inconvience it caused the board.

MU is a good guy who knows his sports well, and he will debate you to the death. He is a great addition to the board. He doesn't DISLIKE the billikens, but he is just a Mizzou fan first.

It'll all be okay,

Steve

Now wish me luck in my poker tournament. That $42 is MINE!!!

maybe so, but like i said, you can look at other rogue programs from days gone past and see that it will now follow missouri for a long time. what should have been done is snyder fired, voluntary probation and sanctions that would have included drastic majors not just "quin wont recruit next week while on vacation in aruba". as david nark pointed out, it would have been great to see the university stand up for bunge. instead they have turned her into the villian. all the steps taken (or lack of) have been steps taken to cover tracks and deny instead of clean up. therefore as much as you hate it, you will now have to live with the reputation for a long time.

While it's true that SLU won't recruit a player with Clemons' transcript at a JUCO, but...

I don't see how we can be on a high moral ground when SLU regularly recruits marginal student-athlete prospects. SLU is not like Stanford, who won't recruit you until you're accepted into their university.

Let's not forget that Anthony Drejaj was a late qualifier. That SLU was very active in recruiting Nicholas Kern, who was very questionable academically. Plus, you have Tommie Liddell who may or may not be eligible.

Wow Billiken Roy you sure make a good point about how much better academically Slu is than Mizzou. It appears from these stats that Mizzou should be compared with junior colleges while SLU is clearly in the Ivy League!

SLU Stats

Average income ACT Score = 26.0

Freshman-to-Sophomore retention ratio = 87%

95 degree programs

No. 78 on US News Best Colleges

Tuition = 20,800

Mizzou Stats

Average income ACT Score = 25.5

Freshman-to-Sophomore retention ratio = 84%

250 degree programs

No. 73 on US News Best Colleges

Tuition = 5,552

MU leads the Big 12 Conference with a 72 percent student-athlete graduation rate

Believe it or not, most people I talk to out of the state of Missouri, don't even know MU is under investigation. It hurt our rep so much that they signed a top 10 recruiting class, during the whole saga. You really think they should have fired Quin as soon as the allegations came out huh? Did you think the same thing about your buddy Romar? No, of course not. You make excuses to this day for his problems at Washington. Quin will be fired if major violations come out but unfortunately for you, it isn't likely. I know this probably ruins your Christmas.

jwd, when the dollar mess was uncovered at uwash, i immediately said that romar should have fired cameron dollar. so you are once again wrong.