This may be too simple

slu72

Last year we averaged 56.4 ppg to our opponents 60.1. There is no reason to believe our D is going to suffer that much this year given we lost RB and IO, not what you'd call defensive stars. When you look at our opponents FGA and 3PA's, FGA's were almost similar as were the shooting percentages, however, when it comes to the trey, we shot 31% fewer 3's than our opponents and our percent made was around 23% below that of our opponents(29% to almost 36%). In effect our opponents were making almost twice the # of 3's we did each game. If we can somehow match our opponents 3 for 3 attempts this year and somehow get our % up to 35-36% we would average roughly 9 more points a game to bring our scoring average to around 66. Is it reasonable to expect UB's change in philosophy, ie up tempo should mean more shots at the hoop, the addition of KL and TL, and the impact of IV get us these 3 extra 3's a game? If so, I'd be willing to bet on a better than .500 mark, given we still play our tenacious style of D. By the way if we want those 90 extra 3's this season we have to take a lot more of them. If we take the same number of 3's as last year it would take a 50% avg to get those 9 extra ppg.

>Last year we averaged 56.4 ppg to our opponents 60.1. There

>is no reason to believe our D is going to suffer that much

>this year given we lost RB and IO, not what you'd call

>defensive stars.

Is it reasonable to expect

>UB's change in philosophy, ie up tempo should mean more

>shots at the hoop

I agree our defense will be even more stout than last year and we could be better on the offensive end. I also hope we move the ball up court with a higher tempo. However, a higher tempo does mean more shots for us, but also for the other team as well, so while our points per game might go up, so could the could the other teams.

i have brad explain "i want to run" a few times. and he explained it again last nite.

he said that players all say "i want to run". he said he tells them all, "no you dont. you want to be able to shoot whenever you want."

he illustrated that point by asking us to think about pick up games in the gym. both teams tend to walk it up the floor then chuck it up asap. they occasionally throw a baseball pass to the guy that cheated on defense for a layup on the other end, but actually running a full out fast break, and get their butts back on defense, doesnt happen often.

he made sure last nite to tell us we will run, but only after they run back on defense, and play all out on that end first.

so yes, maybe our previous offense has kept some scoring down, but even then, that doesnt explain why the louisville's and memphis's didnt get their points on the other end. i.e. we could easily have seen 92-58 scores. but the fact is, no matter what you think of our offense in the past, we also were able to force the opponents to largely play half court basketball and use the clock as well. for that, soderberg deserves huge huge credit.

The Wizard of Westwood was a master at changing tempo's during a game. He'd run a little, go half court, speed it up, etc. He worked this really well against Jacksonville and Artis Gilmore. Jacksonville wanted to run, so he'd play slow ball , they'd adjust on defense, then UCLA would speed it up. Of course, they had a lot of talent back then. But regardless were extremely well coached. Taking a team out of it's normal tempo is critical and I think UB has won games with this in mind. The biggest being the UL upset three years ago. UL struggles with our slow down game kept us in it, and allowed MP to finally win it at the end. I don't care how he does it as long as we win.