Lady Bills Soccer

Has anyone been keeping tabs on how our Lady Bills have fared? SLUBILLIKENS.COM does a pretty poor job in accurately describing our team, so if anyone has been to a game, please post and let us know what's going on. I know we played to a 2-1 loss to Santa Clara, one of the best teams in the nation, so we must be doing ok.

I'm actually posting from a WET Arlington, VA tonight and I am very tempted to take the train up to Philly to see the Lady Bills tomorrow v. Temple.

Enjoy the game. If you get off the train at the 30th Street Station and take a cab over to Temple (not the BEST part of inner-city Philly!) enjoy yourself. The Lady Bills will be out in surburbia playing St. Joes. They beat Temple 4 to 1 on Friday. It WAS on the SLU web site. My buddy Tim is the head coach.

The team is a good one ... you know you're old when one of your class mates (Larry Hulcer) has a daughter (Courtney) starring for the team. The problem is that only a few schools play women's soccer on a "national" level. Santa Clara is one. Notre Dame. North Carolina. Penn State. Again, its the top ten and the rich getting richer. Problem is that the lesser conferences get one and only one team into the NCAA's and an upset loss in your conference tournament can be devastating. That happend to the Lady Bills last year. I think the power that is in the A-10 might be Dayton. But no matter what, it will come down to what happens in the post-season tourney. And if tha's played in Dayton .. like a lot of these other A-10 tourneys seen to be ... that spells trouble for anyone other than the Flyers.

They are 8 or 9 and 3 ... all losses being to top 25 teams. OU, Duke, and Santa Clara. A win over one of them would have helped them with an at-large bid if needed. Soccer Buzz has them as the 7th team receiving votes which would put them at 37. I really think this will be there year.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Unfortunately, without a long standing tradition of a quality program, SLU will have to win its conference and conference tourney to generate any buzz. They wisely scheduled Duke and Santa Clara this year, but unfortunately lost to both. The conference is weak, and SLU will be punished for that and for not getting a top 25 win.

...example Tim Champion complained that SLU had defeated ranked Marquette in pre-season 2-0 in the road...a great result but it was exhibition(and the opposing team didn't even play a few top players)...While SLU played Santa Clara and Duke respectably, they lost both. Meanwhile though defeated by SLU, Marquette beat then top 5 Notre Dame 4-1 later in regular season. If SLU had beaten Duke or Santa Clara, they would be ranked by now. I think they will creep up there by padding more wins in weak conference, and winning conference tourney...squeak into top 25, get in the tourney and probably have to go on the road.

To get over the hump, two things are needed:

1) Keep scheduling Duke, Santa Clara etc...

2) Gotta beat the regional state school teams...KU, U or I, etc...losing to OU wasn't a good result.

• 2 weeks later...

Losing to this year's Missouri State this week, re-emphasizes the importance of defeating nationally ranked competition earlier in the season. Perhaps a "bad" loss like this one wouldn't be so bad...but if SLU women's soccer wants national respect, they won't get any now. They did play two top 5 top 10 teams very tough very close,(but still lost both) and defeated one in exhibition play, but that isn't going to get it done. SLU women should win out in conference, and conference tourney, get an NCAA invite and get a very tough first round draw and will need to pull an upset, or pull off an even matchup on the road. Still doable...