Practice Reports

If these quotes by Brad are accurate it seems that some NCAA rules have been broken. I believe that the only type of practices that the coach can attend are conditioning practices. Even attending practices arranged by the players would be a violation.

Perhaps the Post Dispatch could use this topic to do an in-depth article about the Billikens.

"Brad spoke for over an hour. Started on questions from the start. Had to be out by 8p to work out the 15 guys who want to be walk ons for us this year."

"IV- long summer for him. decreased weight, trim. Expect him to be the leading scorer on the team, if not among the top 2-3. Wants to build the offense around him. BH will spell him. Feels BH not looking enough to go up, wants him not to look to pass out when in the paint, and has gone up in the three workouts so far."

"DP-has reconstructed his shot under UB's eye and advice. Has paid off so far from the 3, not from the FT line."

"JJ-led big men in scoring in the first 3 workouts, rebounding, too. Clearly Coach has no idea if this will continue or increase. "

"TL- Very, very, very talented. He 'can do things I have never before seen anyone else at SLU do before.' Had AD on him to guard him, and he drove AD crazy. AD couldn't stop him."

Of course maybe I misunderstand the rules.

I'm sure you can find it in the NCAA manual, which I think is on line in acrobat form. Why don't you look it up and report back to us? We'd all be interested. I think coaches can work with position players; just no full team practices and scrimmages until 10/15. I doubt the same rules apply to non scholarship players. Any good player who would Q for a scholarship except for an exemption like already having an academic scholarship or a free ride because a parent's a faculty member would not be at a walk-on tryout.

> Of course maybe I misunderstand the rules.

Given your allegiances, the "maybe" is perhaps an understatement.

17.5.6 Out-of-Season Athletically Related Activities

In men's basketball, student-athletes and members of the coaching staff may engage in countable athletically related activities outside the institution's playing season as follows: (Revised: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05)

(a) A student-athlete is permitted to engage in a maximum of eight hours of countable athletically related activities per week outside of the playing season, during the academic year;

(:) No more than two of the eight hours of countable athletically related activities may be devoted to individual or team skill related instruction; (italics added for the SPUMAC-impared)

© There are no limitations on the number of student-athletes who may be involved in individual or team skill related instructional activities; and

(d) All athletically related activities outside the playing season are prohibited one week prior to the beginning of the final examination period through the conclusion of each student-athlete's final exams.

OK I stand corrected.

Surprised the NCAA added that rule, I didn't think you could do that before.

Not much reason to keep up with the comming and goings of basketball these days considering Mizzou's chances this year. I'll tune in more in February when speculation of who Mizzou's new coach will be heating up.

FWIW even considering the sorry state of affairs at Mizzou I would gladly bet that Mizzou finishes the season with more wins than SLU. However surley not nearly enough to save Quin's job.