Billikenation

billikenmetz

Is it time we hop on the bandwagon of people calling a certain fan-base a "Nation?" Red Sox Nation, Yankee Nation, Notre Dame Nation, United Nation(s), etc....Could Billikenation follow suit? Is this a legitamate marketing strategy? I personally have copyrighted the name Billikenation and would like to see it used by the athletic department with my express written consent, which as an alum, I would graciously (and free of charge in exchange for lifetime athletic passes) give to them. I think it's clever and has a good ring to it. We could also have the faces of Obi, D-Brown, Peyton and Ian Mooney with "Don't Mess with Texas" on a t-shirt or something. Clever, yes.

Guys, this is serious. I want to know if you'd like to propose officially calling Saint Louis University Billiken fans the "BILLIKENATION" I love it. I am officially on board as a charter member. Follow me to freedom, BILLIKENATION. COPRYRIGHT 2005 BOBBY METZINGER.

saint louis university was 59th in the country last year in attendance. so there are about 300 schools worse than slu attendancewise

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/m_basketball/att...ball_attend.pdf

whenever i get depressed about slu attendance, i harken back to the game in the early 80's when i was at slu yet and the great ron ekker team was about to play louisville and the drs of dunk the next national champion. one would think a game against such an opponent would bring in 20,000. yeah minus about 19,500! i sat front row ever game.

footes, explain to me how slu has tried to "can enthusiasm" over the past 3 decades? i am not saying they have or havent. i just want to know for sure where you are coming from on this.

the University made many half-hearted attempts to generate enthusiam among students for a variety of events. I knew some people in the planning groups. There was a "Catch-22" attitude like "we don't have to try very hard to organize this event because no one will come anyway." The rest of the students had the attitude of "why should I go when the event will be lousy anyway?"

I attended undergrad for 4 years and then started grad school a year later, lasting another 2.5 years. Most of what the school did during that time generated nothing but yawns among the students. I don't claim to be very close to the situation now. I'm just observing attendance at games.

Speaking of basketball, in the old days at the Kiel there would be a dorm night with some kind of contest with prizes going to the floors with the best attendance. This brought out pretty good student attendance, but it usually lasted only 1 night.

I'm kind of pulling Metz's chain here. I really wouldn't discourage anybody from doing something to promote the university and its sports programs. I'm just skeptical that the students will be drawn to games without the product on the field, court, etc. being good.

I'll give credit to the BlueCrew and the band. It's just a shame that those two groups typically outnumber the rest of the student body. I'm also skeptical that many students will be more likely to attend games if they're played on campus. SLU makes it pretty easy to travel the 10 minutes to the game. Schools like Marquette are in the same situation, but students still turnout.

i agree completely. my son was going to join the bluecrew last year as a freshman and then somehow after getting settled in his dorm, he was convinced by peer pressure on his dorm floor that the bluecrew wasnt cool. i cant even begin to describe how disappointed i was to hear that billiken roy's son was not a blue crew member. but somehow, whether it was an RA or a Frat guy, he was convinced he shouldnt join. he still went to every home game, but still it is obvious to me, that what you described is the true case.

i see these blue crew kids and the band busting their tails night after night and then see the continued animosity from the rest of the student body it is so disheartening. the root of the problem is not how good the team is, but why are these student leaders not behind the billikens? it would seem it would be worth Ms levick's time to meet with the student leaders to try to get them enthused to the point that they arent advising kids it is dumb to join the blue crew or go to the games.

>Billiken Woods

>Billiken Glen

>Billiken Acres

>Billiken Meadows

>Billiken Manor

>Billiken Place

>Billiken Lake

>

>Why do most subdivision have the same handful of names?

Because most suburban subdivisions take the name of what natural element was torn down or built upon...If the subdivision is Tall Oaks, that means there used to be Tall Oak trees where there is now a cul-de-sac.