Leon Powell

Leon Powell is not at the Nike Camp. A guys that i know are at the camp and he was not there. he was not invited. that's a shame because he was really good at the hoops jamboree. i think he led the camp in scoring. alex tyus is at the abcd camp running with o.j. mayo, bill walker on the same camp team.

As a stated earlier, there are no area kids at the nike camp for the first time in years. the only kid from missouri is the goode kid from raytown.

bad boyz for life

I snuck inside the Nike Camp and got to meet Luol Deng and Shannon Brown. Leon was a late cancellation, but did receive an invite. George GoodeII was the only Missouri player in attendance. He was impressive. Hoosier Shootout was impressive. Team Missouri advanced to the round of 32, but didnt make it any further. The 6'10 Gifford kid badly outplayed the Wisconsin recruit.

So why no Leon? The reason for the cancellation?

Seems to me that even the Nike folks messed up .... given all the accolades you have showered on this exceptional St. Louis talent, I would have thunk one of two others might be there .... excluding the two at ABCD Camp (Tyus and Maguire). Whats the dif? Why no dap?

dont underestimate the contributions of floyd irons. irons singlehandedly has gotten vashon banned from playing in most of st louis. even the december shootout wont let them play anymore. remember, he wont let his kids play for other aau teams. nike is huge in aau. what if larry butler wanted him to play for his warriors team and was told hands off.

if true, that has helped vashon how?

i dont think mr pickett has been beating down the door wanting irons back either.

Okay .. good comeback and I appreciate it. Above this, I think it was b-roy, it was stated that the kids don't go because of the power of Irons. Basically, Floyd says 'no go' and the kids don't go. But in the grander scheme of things, who is that really hurting? Wouldn't you agree that its the kids?

We have debated many times over, the power that seems to rest in these recruiting and sports shoe camps. If a certain kid goes to a certain camp, he is seriously upgraded in the ratings. Some have argued this to be true although I for one can't really say. But if we suppose this to be true, and all these Vashon kids aren't going, then they are not getting recognized ... meaning, i.e. that they are not getting seen by the "right' guys.

Let me draw that back to my Pete Pompey/Floyd Irons comparison .. the one where I said it was okay for Floyd to stay where he is for 33 years if he truly does so for the love of the kids. If this is the case, and he's telling them not to go to camps like this, for whatever reasons, is this not bad advice then that he is giving to kids trying to use basketball as an escape .... as a way out of their current conditions (don't know how much if any the near north side of St. Louis has improved since I've been gone)? In essence, is he then protecting and continuing his regime at the sacrifice of these obviously talented kids? A modern-day Vlad Tepes? Okay, taht comparison might be a little harsh but still, the regime continues by using the talented peasants and then cutting them off once their service runs its course. Seems somewhat appropriate of a comparison to me.

I cant say I disagree with you, but he just doesnt want anybody else working with or instructing his kids. I can understand, but I cant necessarily say I completely agree with it. Although going to college period is a way to escape, not just going to a Div 1 school. Their education may not be any better than a Div 3 or NAIA school.

>I cant say I disagree with you, but he just doesnt want

>anybody else working with or instructing his kids. I can

>understand, but I cant necessarily say I completely agree

>with it.

That is rediculous. His kids? I don't know much about the V and their program, but that says all I need to know.

>>I cant say I disagree with you, but he just doesnt want

>>anybody else working with or instructing his kids. I can

>>understand, but I cant necessarily say I completely agree

>>with it.

>

>That is rediculous. His kids? I don't know much about the

>V and their program, but that says all I need to know.

You need to learn how to spell ridiculous.

V-Black,

I think you hit on something important when you stated that coach basically does not trust anyone else to instruct his players. That is probably the reason why so many vashon kids struggle at the division ! level and rarely develop, other than the academic side. countless kids go to college with the mentality (only depend on the coach and nobody else, us against the world) which helps them win a ton of high school championships and national rankings, but outside the cloak of grand avenue, they get lost and ultimately quit or get sent home or maybe transfer to a lower level school. this has been especially true during the past decade. when adversity strikes, they have no idea what to do because coach is not there to do the thinking for him and they're not interested in listening to anyone else, even the current college coach.

I think dwayne is one who can change that. he's already an honor student at slu and he will be a heck of a player for the billikens. Jimmy too. Although his basketball career at mizzou has been mediocre at best, he gets a lot of credit for sticking with it. hopefully, he will be rewarded with a big senior season. what happened with gordon at ISU is almost sickening because he was making a impact on the court, but he neglected to go to class altogether.

other than jimmy, it has been about 15 years since a vashon player has had a role on a college team that went to the NCAA tournament. that should not be happening to a program with vashon's talent, success and stature. you look at some of the other big name prep programs around the country, you see their kids popping up on ncaa teams all the time. as a stated before, i think dwayne will be one who reverses this trend as well.

well, that's my food for thought for the day.

What do you think?

bad boyz for life

I think Dwayne's success or failure at SLU shall be a huge barometer for how we do in the future recruiting out of Vashon. It's more or less a trial balloon. Floyd can cut us off at the knee caps should he so wish. Staying close to home and around the V family just might be a benefit to these players.

but for a rare time, Vtime is correct. Vashon has entered into an exclusive agreement with the MLK Classic where they agree to not play in the Shootout. It's quite disappointing to me, however the positive is more money is going back into the community.

Jimmy started it as well. Really wasnt a great student at Vashon, but was Academic All Big Twelve this season. I dont know why everybody expects Coach Irons to be "Coach Carter." If these kids werent playing ball for Floyd Irons, who knows what they would be running the streets doing in that neighborhood. He holds study hall for the kids to take care of their work. The kids can call Coach Irons from college. Those kids spend all their time together. They practice almost everyday, even Christmas and Thanksgiving, so they always have someone to talk to.

maybe instead of practicing all the time even on xmas and xgiving, they could stay home and do their homework.

(the above statement excludes mr polk who obviously gets it.)