the streets

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

husak has been an honor student since probably first grade. so the answer is no.

dentmon was being recruited by romar as a sophomore at carbondale already.

>You dont have to redshirt to learn plays. Basketball is not

>rocket science. You can walk through it in a matter of

>weeks. It just doesnt take that long, especially for kids

>who are doing work thats much more mentally challenging in

>the classroom everyday. Kids are even running the motion

>offense of their video games these days. Give me a break.

You've lost all credibility with me after this post. You're actually right about basketball not being rocket science, but it sure as heck isn't as easy as you make it out to be. You do honestly believe "a few weeks" is sufficient enough time for a player to become totally comfortable in a motion offensive like SLU runs? Sure, a player can start to understand the concept of a motion offensive in a few week, but it takes MUCH MUCH longer to actually master the system and instantly see patterns in the offensive and react to them like it's second nature.

I saw on a number of occasions last year during U of I games where their guards would run off screens and check to the wrong spot where another player was already positioned. I'm not comparing SLU to U of I, but rather giving an example to show that even an entire team that has "mastered" their motion offense can easily become confused and delay the effectiveness of the offense.

A good coach tailors the plays to the strengths of his players anyway. The teams with athletes will score most of their points by getting out and running anyway. North Carolina and Illinois rarely ran plays last year. The only play was get open. Pass and cut. Pass and screen away. SLU is getting more athletic every year. They can run this year if they really wanted to. With all those guards we have, there's no excuse not to run. If you're really running guys will be winded and want to catch a breather here and there.

and while you were there they never stopped scrimmages once to demonstrate or yell at the players because they all knew the offense perfectly?

>North Carolina and Illinois rarely ran plays last year. The only

>play was get open. Pass and cut. Pass and screen away.

You really believe that, don't you? Anything to do with "X's and O's" is way over your head. Stick to illegal recruiting tactics and JUCO admission processes.

illinois hardly runs plays? during the tourney this past spring, jay bilas was showing us a different illini play every night?

as to running, until we can consistently rebound we cant run. someone has to be able to rebound and throw outlets. the last few years our rebounding has been such that everyone has to hit the boards defensively. our breakouts have normally been limited to steals and recoveries.

Ofcourse they ran plays, but it's nothing as complex as you're trying to make it seem. The motion offense or any offense for that matter just arent that hard. Now, the player may not buy into it, but that doesnt mean they dont understand. These kids have been playing basketball there whole lives and have ran any play you can imagine a million times. They're not going to encounter any plays in college that they havent run dozens of times.

Didnt Arizona lead the nation in scoring in 2004, by running and starting a 4 guard lineup. They played one big man with 4 guards. Hassan Adams was the starting pf and led the team in scoring from that position. They did that in the Pac-10, you're telling me SLU cant do that in the A10, using Danny Brown or Luke Meyer at the pf?

luke meyer is not adams. adams got away with it because of fantastic athleticism and upper body strength.

i already point out that meyer wasnt even chris sloan. i.e. we have went over this point before.

Fish had a redshirt year. How did you like his final season? He was a very seasoned player; protected the ball and took the toughest defense assignment...and was ready to take the tough shot when we needed it.

From what I remember, Husak signed early with Elon because a former NBA center type player was the head coach. When the coach was fired, Husak looked elsewhere and I remember Providence, Creighton and SLU as well as others were in the mix for him. Not too often a 7 footer suddenly becomes avaliable in April.