the streets

again you are showing you dont watch the billikens. you would not make the a-10 pf statement if you have followed the billikens in the past. curtis withers is possibly an all-american next year and we have been getting killed by him for awhile. so to insinuate there are no credible pf's is crazy. also didnt the pops guy from geo washington pass on the draft and come back? i would guess there are more.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great point steve and to be honest it is the only credible explanation that brad is thinking of starting an annual redshirting program like it seems programs like gonzaga utilize all the time.

i believe both chris braun and drew deiner were done with undergrad work before their senior season. so i believe a school can pay for graduate school in those 5 years of scholarships.

has been that Knollmeyer was going to go to a year of prep school (he is only entering his senior year right now) in order to get more seasoning. That sounded weird at the time as nobody really decides to enter prep school before they even complete their senior season and with a scholarship offer in hand. I wonder if maybe MU has cooled on him and told him to go to prep school for a year and now he is saying "screw that".

all trying to improve their draft stock, qualify acadmeically, etc.

Knollmeyer is a junior in highschool soon to be a senior, has a scholarship in hand from the large state school, by all accounts doesn't need acadmeic help and he decided before his senior year to take a 5th year to develop his game? It just doesn't seem right. Why not just go to MU and redshirt if you need to physically develop?

By going to prep school he doesnt have to sit out. Redshirting would be sitting out wouldnt it. Going to prep school increases you recruiting. You're older and your game is a lot more developed. Look at what it did for Justin Dentmon. He originally signed with Illinois State, but went to prep school and is now going to Washington who was a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. From the MVC to the Pac-10. Prep school game him a huge boost.

has already been recruited to his large state school. I seriously doubt he would be going to prep school so that he can improve his recruiting status. If he redshirted at MU he would still have four years of eligibility plus he would get to compete against D1 ballplayers every day in practice.

To rehash: most players go to prep school to 1) improve their recruitment or 2) become academically eligible.

Since Knollmeyer needs neither I suspect Quin is running out of schollys and is pushing Knollmeyer to delay his enrollment at MU, and Knollmeyer is saying hell no, I won't go.

>Meyer should see a lot of time at the four. Would create a

>ton of mismatches.

I would not have been against this idea but for the recruitment of Obi. Why try to make Meyer play a position he is not physically suited for when we have the horses in place at PF (JJ, Obi and Newborne)? If we want to go small at PF, we have Newborne. Chris Sloan was converted to a 4 due to necessity. Also, I think Chris was underrated in the hops department. Luke is very pedestrian when it comes to gaining altitude.

But the red shirt deal is usually done for the bigs who need time to grow into their bodies. Will a guard get better during a red shirt year? I doubt that's the case. What I think we are experiencing is coach recruiting over players from earlier classes. It's a good thing but a shame all these players are bunched together. It'll be a dog fight for PT at guard.

Redshirting doesnt help anyone in my opinion. Playing makes you better, not sitting and watching. If the guy isnt good enough he shouldn't be out. He shouldnt be redshirting to get better. If the kid is good enough, let him play despite his frame.

southern illinois is one school that has used the redshirt process consistently when weber got there. they have become a top mid-major program because of it. they have been able to do it and not sacrifice winning seasons and develop some good players. it's such a big advantage down the road. it takes a little patience and some guts to do it and the players have to buy in.

darren brooks

sylvester willis

brad korn

randal falker

tony young

jamel foster

josh warren

two or three of their top freshmen are redshirting this year as did two last year, including the boyle kid from jefferson county. there are others, but those are the ones i came up with.

stetson hairston did not redshirt, but he went to prep school and was a fifth-year senior like the other players.

all have been important parts of four ncaa teams and mvc championship teams.

SIU salukis

bad boyz for life

I am not by any means the basketball expert of this board, but could one make an argument that the Motion Offense is a reason to red shirt. Admitedly, Meyer probably understand the motion offense better than any of the Freshman or Sophomores next year. However, if Brad is only going to play 5 guards. Why not pick those 5 early, and redshirt the 6th every year?

How does redshirting do anything BUT help a player? He will still get 4 years of Playing Time, just 1 year to learn the system, like the Motion offense.

I forgot, are you allowed 2 redshirts or not? Brad plays a short line-up, so we could red-shirt a guard every year and a big man.

My ideal would be for us to recruit 1-2 guards every year, and 1 big man every year (occasionally 2). I know the classes don't always work out that well. Just using that, we would have Brad's short line up. And 5 Guards and 3-4 available Bigs.

You dont have to redshirt to learn plays. Basketball is not rocket science. You can walk through it in a matter of weeks. It just doesnt take that long, especially for kids who are doing work thats much more mentally challenging in the classroom everyday. Kids are even running the motion offense of their video games these days. Give me a break.

gonzaga is a great example of a program that uses redshirting to help their program. and redshirting isnt just to give someone time to grow or get stronger. they can use it to get straightened out academically. they can use it to recover from injury. they can use it to space out scholarships.

problack said,

"Basketball is not rocket science. You can walk through it in a matter of weeks."

you are on a roll with great quotes. your ignorance grows with every day.

actually dentmon was only recruited by illinois state because of academics. nothing to do with skill level. the big boys backed off because he didnt have his academics in order. another example of a reason to get vashon shaped up academically.

not an insult when you bear out the statement.

to think you can run a college motion offense as effective after a few weeks as you can after a year is nothing short of stupid.