Brandon Rush pulls out of NBA Draft

Nate-

I'm not sure how you figure the Illini need all the help they can get ASAP. With the Sporting News POY returning at the point to go along with five year starter Augustine, the team returns as much quality experience as high-tier college teams can expect to these days. Toss in Brian Randle (recently named co-captain along with the aforementioned duo) and the Illini appear to have as solid a core group as anyone in the B10 outside of MSU. The others that would fill out the rotation, McBride, Carter, Brock, and Pruitt are all top 100 recruits and Marcus Arnold has been a double-double threat in D-1A ball already. That said, I do agree that a talent like Rush would help any team.

I think it's pretty hard to argue that a player averaging 4.5 assists for his career with lightning quickness and a good perimeter shot will struggle as a point guard in the NCAA. He didn't exactly struggle with the role when Williams broke his jaw the year before last, either.

He put up some nice assist numbers, but so did Head and Williams.

Here's a link that talks briefly about Brown not really being a pg.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...7B?OpenDocument

Putting up good assist numbers doesnt mean he's a pg. Luke Walton led the Pac-10 in assists, but that doesnt mean he can play pg. Brown's assist numbers wont be so great with Williams, Head, and Powell gone. He got most of those assists in transition and the team just wont be as talented next season. Brown will have a nice season next year, maybe getting to the Sweet 16 and avg around 15 pts and 5 apg. If Rush comes and they get and one of the guards can step up and be a second assist man and let Brown move off the ball for spurts they can go even further than, but I believe Brown will struggle with having to do all the ball handling and be a workhorse for a team that's not as talented as those in years past.

[but I believe Brown will struggle with having to do all the ball handling and be a workhorse for a team that's not as talented as those in years past.]

They will probably struggle all the way to their 6th straight 25+ win season.

The Illini lost five of their top seven scorers off last year's team in Luther Head, Deron Williams, Roger Powell Jr., Jack Inghram and Nick Smith.

Dee Brown averaged 13.3 points per game last year, while James Augustine averaged 10.1 points and 7.6 rebounds per. That's a great duo to start with as a foundation, but after that you're looking at totally unproven guys.

Brian Randle (2.7 points in 11.1 minutes per game as a freshman, with nine starts), Rich McBride (2.6 points in 14.4 minutes per game), Warren Carter (2.2 points in 7.9 minutes), Shaun Prewitt (1.4 points in 4.6 minutes). It's tough to tell what Calvin Brock is capable of.

The three incoming freshmen will probably see a little time, but I wouldn't count on them for much more.

If you add those factors with the bulls-eye that comes with having played in the national championship game last season and being undefeated for much of the year, I think Illinois will struggle. They'll probably still be in the top 20 or so but I doubt they can make another run to the final four.

- Nate

Yes, reputation will get them top 20. They wont win 25 games like you stated earlier. Michigan State has a better returning team that also went to the final four. They return 4 starters from that team I believe. Wisconsin returns leading super soph and leading scorer Alando Tucker as well as fellow sophomore starter Kammron Taylor as well as 2003 McDonalds All-American Brian Butch who saw limited action due to Wisconsin going with the small lineup.

you guys are forgetting about marcus arnold, who sat out last year after transfering from illinois state. he will give them the low post scoring that they really didn't have the last couple years in their perimeter oriented attack. he has two years left.

bad boyz for life

Illinois has more unproven talent than almost any team in the country. What they won't have is a senior laden team with outstanding depth, like last year. They also won't have the best college backcourt in the country - a backourt that won 60% of the games they played by themselves.

Dee Brown is a very good point guard, Problack. I don't know what kind of illegal substances you have been ingesting for the last three years, but you were not watching much B10 action if you say one of the top three PGs in the conference is not a PG. WOW!!! FWIW< Dee is a better PG than Sean Dockery, the guy that Duke got the same year out of Chicago.

You don't get too many assists when you are one of the two guards receiving the pass on the break. Augustine, Powell, and Smith were not the scoring machines that you believe, and 4.5 assists for the second PG on the court on a motion offense is an incredible number. Doug Altenberger, the color man(and former Illinois HOF guard) has mentioned he thought DEE would be better than DERON if they had the same body. As it stands, Deron has the NBA body, and Dee will struggle for a couple years in the NBA due solely to his build, NOT his skills. He will stick, though.

And BTW, Illinois now has a backup PG - the new transfer from Dayton - so no NIT this year. ILL - INI will fall to about 13 - 20 in the polls, but they will not be chopped liver. McBride and Jamarr Smith from Richwoods are both great 3 pt. shooters, Pruitt and Augie are good 4s, Arnold is a servicable banger at the 5, and Brock, Carter, and Randle are all mobile 3s. Illinois will be a 2 - 5 in the B10, and win two in the dance. They have the talent to make some noise.

GO BILLS!

arnold, randle and mcbride are extremely capable players that will easily fill the holes left imo. mcbride would have not only been a starter at most colleges across the country if he had the chance last year, he likely would have been the star. but behind williams and head, he rarely played. randle imo was one of the best illinois prep players in the last ten years.

to state illinois wont be a player in the national rankings this year is nuts. my guess is that problack is just steamed that vashon has no players on their roster and upset that illinois spray painted his house with hank williams lyrics.

who will fill the whole left by a guy named Deron Williams who will go no lower than 4 or 5 in the draft. Luther Head moved himself into a late first round/early second round status with his play at the predraft camp, so you're telling me Illinois is going to replace two first round picks with no problem. Get a clue.

as sheltie detailed, dee brown is very capable of becoming the main lead guard. and as i pointed out, mcbride is a better athlete than head is and maybe a better shooter as well. add randle back to the mix, head and williams leaving is not as drastic as you make it out to be. while i dont expect them to be in the championship next year, they will be in the ncaa tourney and they will battle mich state for the big ten title.