Soccer only, other folks skip this thread....

Soccer gents,

I attended the England U.S. match at Soldier Field this past weekend. From a SLU connection, saw Danny Donigan, others in the SLU family, and other contingents from Busch/STL soccer, and Scott Gallagher. There were a lot of STL folks, some of the above were in my group. I went last minute.

I knew going in, many U.S. and England players would not be playing, which tempered my enthusiasm, and it was a friendly. Let me say after, I was very glad I went. Terrific time, terrific atmosphere. And though not the best result, a hard fought entertaining game. SLU grad Brian McBride started played most of the game. He really represents the only target player up front for the U.S., and he had two players on him at all times and was pedestrian. He was his usual hardworking self and great in the air. Solid effort. This freed up a lot of opportunity for Josh Wolff, and frankly Wolff gagged the game. The effort was there, but Wolff really struggled mightily. Landon Donovan had a poor game as well, though a few flashes and near goal on a great ball that banged off of the far post. St. Louisan, Gallagher alum, Stevie Ralston didn't have the best game either.

The U.S. did not match the speed and physical play of England for much of the first half. Mostly it was the adjustment to pace where the U.S. struggled. England was fast, and physical. I was pleased to see Gibbs and Vanney step up to the physical challenge early on. Kasey Keller had a solid game, and frankly is still a stud in goal. I was impressed by the play of Steve Cherundolo at right back, really a nice game for him. Bocanegra was solid. Unfortunate for Eddie Pope, he was responsible for both goals on miscues. He looked rusty coming off of injury. Clint Dempsey has been tearing up the MLS this year, but he ran out of gas early in half 2, ...everyone was waiting for the sub that never came. Great game experience for him, who will only get better. He didn't have a great game, but glad to see him get the chance. I was disappointed to see McBride exit for Connor Casey, a familiar thing with Arena, pull McBride late in game. If Casey had a couple of better first touches, could have tied the game. Convey was irrelevant and looked uncomfortable playing outside...had bad spacing.

The atmosphere was much better than expected, as was the crowd size. 47000. Half England, half U.S. red cross England flags wrapped around the entire stadium with flags from seemingly every town in England. Though not perfectly played with missing players, a highly entertaining game, and crowd. The U.S. came on strong and played a solid second half, pushing forward time and again. Poor finishes, and poor high pressure touches cost them. Non-hand ball call in the box hurt as well. England was able to showcase some new up and coming youngsters, and sprinkle in some veterans. Bad start, but good resilience for the U.S. Was happy with that.

Had many a pint with many England and U.S. fans after, a fun time. ...great cheers and songs during the game and after. all took the kidding well.

Watching the game on tv twice now, I thought the US got the better of play, especially in the second half. They just couldn't convert. The hand ball no call hurt, it basically took away a goal. The thing I got from England was that they play physical and know what to do with the ball when they get a chance. The free kick goal was beautiful, perfectly placed. Their second goal was hammered home. If not foe an excellent save by Keller they would have had 3.

Worst game I have seen either Josh Wolf or Eddie Pope play.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Unfortunately Skip, the U.S. just couldn't match the speed of England most of the game, especially early on. England controlled possession early. It was an even game overall. A lot of folks look at the result, and that England was up 2-0, and think they controlled the whole thing or dominated, which wasn't the case. Some of the play of the U.S. was frustrating, knowing they can play better. But, there is nothing like seeing a national team game. Pope is getting up there in age a little, but mostly is rusty and not 100% and hasn't played much. A lot of the England players are fit coming off of Premier league play. Alan Smith, still one of the dirtiest players around. Sure Skip England's first goal, one of two for Richardson was terrific. But how far back was the U.S. wall gonna play? Go back and watch the tape and count how many times the U.S. had a free kick driven into the wall. England would inch up and up every time, giving virtually no room. Where was the U.S. in the 4th minute. IMO it is one example of the U.S. not ready out of the gate for the speed of England, and pace of play. Pope had to pull him down early because of disorganization at times early for U.S., and they were beat on the run.

You have to play 90 miutes against England. Great effort after that, an exciting game that the U.S. could have tied or won.

How about Keller in the World Cup qualifier? Awesome. Great header and work from McBride, as usual. Not a SLU kid, but nice to see Pat Noonan get his feet wet(DeSmet/IU) with the team. Beasley adds that much needed speed and pace for the U.S. Will be nice to see O'Brien get in the mix soon, and Eddie Johnson up top.

Tim Ward and Will John are in the Netherlands for youth world championships, part of 21 man roster. Ward has started every game for NY/NJ.

IU lost 2-1 at IU to Mexican youth national team recently.

Keller was incredible. He is and has been the best US keeper ever. I like Beasley but wish he had better ball control, he is frequently sloppy with the ball and doesn't bring it under control well ... but he does certainly make things happen with his speed and agressiveness. Man did he take some shots. He is tough. It was good to see Pope have a better game. On the England game imo England had more speed than the US defenders but that is it. That though has always been a problem for the US. We have never had that guy that could keep up with the faster players in the world. That brings me to a question ... is Tim ward playing defense in the MLS?

I thought McBride played ok ... but they didn't utilize him in the air enough. He is always hustling and trying to force turnovers but he doesn't play the ball well at his feet. There has to be better options up front then Josh W. I think McBride and Eddie Johnson are a good pair I hope Eddie is ready for the Panama match.

If the England game would have been on a Sunday I would have been there as well.

Ward starts as an outside back.

Dipsy getting some time in Salt Lake, here and there,a few starts..., Jewsbury getting some starts in KC. I thought after Jackie came on last year he would get more consistent time. But doing fine. Davis playing better this year. John has had some small nagging injuries, not getting time in Chicago yet.

Courtside,

Thanks for the reports. Interesting stuff.

I used to cover a lot of college soccer (men's and women's teams at Penn State) when I was still in school and covered one U.S. women's national team game several years back, but since I've moved to St. Louis I've only done a couple high school games and one St. Louis U. NCAA tournament game.

I always enjoyed it, except for a couple NCAA tourney games at Penn State that were played in 15-20 degree weather.

- Nate

The question wasn't to me ... but imo the answer is yes. Freidel had a very good WC in 2002, but Keller has always been the better keeper. Bruce just went with the hot hand and it worked, I was dissapointed at the time ... but I can't imagine questioning much that Arena does.

I hope he starts the same 343 alignment against Panama. I really like the US trying to force the action in these games. It does leave us a little open for the counter ... but I think worth the risk.

Well...interesting question. Freidel is retired now from International play. But he was and has been terrific as well. Both are very fundamentally sound. I would say Freidel made some lights out saves in the big moments...and played for a higher profile EPL team. If either was more prone to let in a cheap goal it would have been Freidel...but the US has been blessed with some great keepers. Howard has the potential to be great, more athletic than either, lacks consistency and the stone cold technical ability, but he gets better and better too.

As for Arena, he has been great...I can question a few things he has done, but for the most part, he has been fair. I like the Arena will give veterans and young players a chance. Meaning...Stevie Ralston could have been overlooked easily for a younger flashier player. But then he calls up Pat Noonan who is the opposite. He rewards strong play in MLS and Europe, and basically plays the best 11. Now, ...sometimes I question his like and continued support for guys like Clint Mathis, Josh Wolff up top. But you could argue the depth up there hasn't been good over the years. I also like the fact that he doesn't care if you are black blue green purple etc...if you are good you play. He has really elevated the program. He is also realistic to say as recently as this week....that the U.S. will contend for a World Cup, when it has players playing consistently in the field in the EPL. He knows guys need to go abroad...but he also knows that they need to play when overseas too. I would like to see Taylor Twellman get another look, but he has to earn it too. If taylor doesn't provide pts, he can look invisible out there at times.

Arena getting Clint Dempsey and some of the other new pros time against England was a reward for good play and a great opp for exposure to the elite environment.

I didn't mean literally ... there is nothing to question. I agree with all of what you said. I would like to see more younger players as we get qualifying locked up. For example I would like to see less Claudio Reyna who seems to play whenever he is healthy but is now a couple of steps slow. I don't think Brian McBride gets utilized in the air enough. I would like to see more Taylor Twelman. Beasley more upfront less at midfield. The US as a whole needs to find ways to develop more speed on the back line.

But all in all ... Arena has been super and the US has made great strides under his direction that I don't think we would have made without him