2005 A10 Soccer Championships to be at SLU

RS

GW Athletic's home page has story on GW's 2005 soccer schedule and mentions that A10 tourney is at St. Louis Nov 10-13. GW surprisingly won the A10 tourney last fall after going on a late season run, and beat North Carolina in 1st round of NCAA's. GW hosts the Billikens on Oct. 28 as well.

Link is:

http://www.gwsports.com/

I'm sure GW is playing the same number of league games as all the teams. If they're playing 9 league games then so will all the other teams. With a 14 team league I guess not everyone is going to play everyone else each year.

So far from teams that have released their schedules we know that SLU will be playing Duke at home, Indiana & ND at ND tournament, and SMU & Tulsa at SMU. In A-10, UMass at home with LaSalle, Charlotte, and GW on the Road.

It looks like another quality schedule as all 5 of their non-conf foes were ranked at the end of last season (including no. 1 Indiana). I get the feeling SLU had a role in the conference of 14 teams playing against each other 9 times so they could play more ranked and regional foes in non-conf.

I am sure SLU will be announcing their schedule soon (there may be inaccuracies below as this is gleaned from other teams schedules). I did not find a Northern Illinois schedule so I don't know that date.

BTW, Kentucky will play in Conference-USA for soccer now.

09/03 Duke 7:00 PM

(Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament, South Bend, In)

09/09 vs Indiana 5:00 PM

09/11 vs Notre Dame 2:00 PM

(SMU Mi Cocina Classic)

09/16 at SMU 7:30 PM

09/17 * vs Tulsa 5:00 PM

10/16 Massachusetts 1:00 PM

10/28 at George Washington 3:00 PM

10/30 at La Salle TBA

11/04 * at Charlotte 6:30 PM

GW plays it's home soccer matches at it's Mount Vernon campus, which is in a more residential (and very nice) part of DC a few miles from it's main campus. Mt. Vernon College was formerly an independent all girls college and GW bought the school just a few years ago. One of the benefits to GW was the the site had the soccer field (along with numerous tennis courts). GW doesn't have room for a soccer field at its main campus location which is not surprising being located along Pennsylvania Avenue near the White House, Watergate Complex and various US Government Departments. Previously home soccer matches were played at off campus locations in the DC area.

Adding Michigan and Duke would help off-set the possible schedule loss of UVA, Clemson and Wake Forest of recent years. SLU needs as many tough non-conference games as they can get. Michigan has done quite well for only recently switching to D-1. Northwestern is an up and comer in the upper midwest too.