Vashon Players

I am not saying all Vashon Players but it is a risk to recruit because of their grades etc... You have the McKinneys, Polks, Love's. Wahington, Gordon but then you have Bobo, Watkins, Shelton who have not suceeded in college. Plus, since I am a math teacher at Vashon I would have first hand knowledge of what goes on. The students at Vashon are great and have problem just like any school, but when you give one of the players a Failing grade and some how it gets changed to a passing grade of C, it tells me that basketball is more important than school. Coach Iron is a great coach but does not teach them the life lessons of what it takes to suceed and that is probaly why few colleges recruit Vashon players because they do not have what it takes to suceed in the classroom. Semo is no SLU and you almost have to be retarded to fail out of that school.

The problem is not Vashon -- the problem is poverty. Impoverished communities don't produce a high percentage of academic stalwarts - kids that overcome the overwhelming odds are the exception, not the rule. It's not a coincidence that kids like Jimmy McKinney and Bobby Hill who transferred in from other districts excelled academically because they grew up with advantages their classmates did not. If most of the SLU student body had been raised in the neighborhoods some of these poor families are stuck in, they wouldn't make it to college either. But that's the world we live in -- there always has been and always will be economic winners and losers.

Vashon and SLU is an old argument. Don't we all think if their was a player that was a fit for SLU both athletically and academically and the kid really wanted to stay home to play hoops, he'd have come to SLU. I don't even think Irons ever had it in for us. It just goes against logic. Vtime all the players you mentioned either didn't want to come here, couldn't get in, or we for one reason or another didn't want them. That all said, if Muse is having such a great JUCO career are we interested?

it will all depend on his course credits. just because he is at a juco doesnt mean he can transfer. we know that from the previous attempts to land jucos the last couple of summers.

if muse is taking a dedicated course of study that will transfer to slu, then by all means we would be fools not to be interested.