Any other current SLU Coaches on the Chopping Block?

Probably not. The problem with JILL was that she made a $150,000 a year unlike the baseball and softball coaches they do not make that. The answerer is probably not. WOnder if JILL has found a job yet. I feel bad for the school that hires her or the coach.

Well thats disapointing. I follow all the sports and think all the spring sports should be looked at.

Baseball- 2-13

Softball- 8-12

Golf- back of the pack finishes

MTennis- 3-9

WTennis- 7-11

All these are records as of today. I thought Cheryl L. wanted all the sports to be at least presentable. All these sports have done terrible for a long time now. It's pretty embarrasing.

He's a hell of a nice guy but he seems to have maybe lost hope for anything better for the baseball bills. When I've talked to him in the past he's seemed resigned to his fate. I don't know the program at all or how tough the scholarship problem is but even if it is hopeless the coach ought to be more upbeat about it.....

i used to defend hughes, but after watching him ignore the east side high school scene the last couple of seasons i am done with him. what makes that even more amazing is coach hughes lives in belleville. yet, i never saw him at one of the many high school games i watched the last two seasons, and i only saw him at the fairview legion team games once last year. and that night he left after 3 innings. that particular night, smithton legion was playing fairview. smithton had two kids that could throw 90 mph and fairview by far had the best overall team in the area except maybe edwardsville. yet he doesnt even stick around?

i can name at least 10 kids better than what they have now, that graduated the last two years on the east side that would have killed to go to slu and play baseball yet they werent even talked to. granted there are limited scholarships available for baseball (i think it is around 13 and if you consider a 25 man roster, that is a tough sell), however, if he didnt talk to anyone, how does he know if they could have gotten in academically on a scholarship?

as to the softball team, i dont know much about the team now, however since my daughter has potential as a softball player and i will be following the area select teams and high school teams over the next 4 years, i will see how agressive we are in softball.

i believe the biggest problem is the cost of tuition and the number of athletic scholarships that can be given out. since the number of athletic scholarships is minimal on all sports, that means they have to either find rich kids willing to pay their way or academic kids that also want to play the sport to fill out their roster. in all likelihood, that just doesnt pan out talentwise. if the kid is good, most of the spring sports are ones that the good players head south to play. just the facts. but like i said above, at least ask about kids.

Coaches and scouts go to watch talented kids play. They have no time for social visits during their season. You won't find Soderberg watching Tower Grove Christian play Governor French Academy!

SLU's baseball team is either practicing, playing games, or traveling six days a week from late February to late May, weather permitting. If Hughes is going out on an open Monday to watch a high school or juco game, he is going to watch talent play.

SLU has five players from the metro east on their roster, so he does recruit that area's talented/bright players. If Hughes doesn't go to a certain high school, they don't have D1 talent or anything close to it.

With over 200 high school and juco teams within two hours of SLU, a coach has to be selective as to where he spends his free time. I'm positive that Hughes gets information from his metro area contacts, and local professional scouts, as to who and where the better-smarter kids are playing.

maybe hughes has some sort of territory deal worked out with fiala or something. but you are flat wrong on the belleville kids not being good enough. the huber kid that graduated from althoff in 2004 would have started for slu from day one. i would bet the potts kid that graduated last year is as good as any infielder he has on the current roster. the hill kid that graduated in 2004 from east is a super outfielder. there probably was grade issues with tillitson from east, but if he was even a partial qualifier, they should have taken him and stashed him. same with the mohr kid from freeburg and ben mueth who is from freeburg but playing on swic's team right now. the boeschen kid from okawville now at swic would have been a starter from day one. the boeschen kid that is at east right now would have started next year at slu, he is going to swic. the kelley kid that will be althoff's best pitcher this year is going to swic and would have been a rotation pitcher from day one likely. those swic kids are not there for grades either. most were good students.

if you are blaming it on time constraints during the spring, ok, i'll give you that, but then he should have been around during the legion season. he wasnt. and if you think that a "contact" would have told him who was quality and thus he wasnt there because there wasnt any quality, well then he obviously needs new contacts. his record at slu speaks for itself talentwise.

BRoy don't have a heart attack but we agree on something!!!! Hughes has had many errors in judgement with recruiting. I could personally tell you a couple stories that would seal the argument. The final word is the record speaks for itself. He is a nice guy but the school needs a different voice. In my opinion, the school needs a different voice in all of the spring sports I mentioned above!

Roy,

Go ***** and moan about something else. If the metro east had talent he would recruit it. Until you become a Division 1 coach, you will always be full of S%$t. Why don't you help us donate some money to the new arena and maybe people will start listening to you. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TELL YOUR WIFE I SAID HELLO

while our baseball team might win scholar bowl matches against other teams, they arent going to consistently win baseball games with the approach (or lack of one) that coach hughes apparently takes. like i said, while some of the kids i personally have watched on the east side play the last couple of years, might not have 32's on their act, they arent necessarily non-qualifiers either. the fact he hasnt pursued some of them is beyond head scratching and double that concern with the fact coach hughes lives blocks away from both whitey herzog field (the fine belleville legion field which althoff uses as a home field in the spring) and belleville west high school, i just find that wrong.

now if the mainly missouri kids that make up the slu roster were indeed tearing it up year after year, i wouldnt have any room to question what is going on, but the fact is we dont win. i used to believe it was just a matter of too little scholarships and too high of tuition to attract the top talent, but when he doesnt even watch better talent right at his fingertips, how can anyone defend it?

newberry, who should i tell my wife is saying hello?

second, anita and i annually give a donation to the billiken club that is above the minimum donation. do you?

It's hard to be "up to snuff" when the facilities, particularly baseball, are worse than many high school facilities and that is a major factor in kids not coming here. But hey, we do have 40 nice statues for the kids to look at on their way to our bare-bones baseball "stadium."

Plus, as has been mentioned here many times, the lack of scholarships and private school tuition is a big time detriment as well.

High School Baseball Web

The High School Baseball Web -

An internet home for high school baseball players, coaches, parents and fans.

If you like what you see please tell others about the site. If you have comments

or suggestions you can send them to us using the "Contact" link below.

NCAA SCHOLARSHIPS

BY SPORT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following table lists the allowable number of scholarships for NCAA divisions I and II, for both Men's and Women's athletics.

This does not suggest that each college program offers the full amount of possible scholarships for each sport. That decision is governed by each school's sports budget and other factors.

NCAA DIVISION I

Sport

Men's

Women's

Baseball

Softball 11.7 12

Basketball 13 15

Track & Field 12.6 18

Football 85 0

Golf 4.5 6

Gymnastics 6.3 12

Field Hockey 0 12

Ice Hockey 18 18

Lacrosse 12.6 12

Rowing 0 20

S****r 9.9 12

Swimming

Diving 9.9 8.1

Tennis 4.5 8

Volleyball 4.5 12

Water Polo 4.5 8

Wrestling 9.9 0

NCAA DIVISION II

Sport

Men's

Women's

Baseball

Softball 9 7.2

Badminton 0 10

Basketball 10 10

Bowling 0 5

Track & Field 12.69 12.69

Fencing 4.5 4.5

Football 36 0

Golf 3.6 5.4

Gymnastics 5.4 6

Handball 0 12

Field Hockey 0 6.3

Ice Hockey 13.5 18

Lacrosse 10.8 9.9

Rifle 3.6 7.2

Rowing 0 20

Skiing 6.3 6.3

S****r 9 9.9

Squash 9 7.2

Swimming

Diving 0 9

Synchronized

Swimming 0 5

Tennis 4.5 6

Volleyball 4.5 8

Water Polo 4.5 8

Wrestling 9 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search this site powered by FreeFind