Randy Bennett Sighting

Coach Bennett of St. Mary's was at the playoff game tonight at DeLaSalle High School, no doubt watching DLS star forward Theo Robertson (6'5"). Coach Dick Davey of Santa Clara was at the last home game. I wished Coach Bennett good luck, and he thanked me. He is a real good coach, a true rising star.

DeLaSalle won over Monte Vista. Monte Vista has a star 6'3" sophomore to watch in Cory Higgins, son of former Golden State Warrior Rod Higgins.

Seen that Kickert is only a junior!

I think he`s from the same school in Austriala(that doesn`t look right).I think he`s everything that Lattimer was supposed to be here.6-10 and can ligth up the three all night. Oh what could have been.

I remember Jonathan Sanders chose Colorado State over the Bills,and then when he transferred he went to SMC,so guessing Randy must have been recruiting him here.Nice to have a 6-7 guard like him.

I think with the 3 point shooters the Gaels have they could create alot of problems for teams,just hope since they have to play Santa Clara in Santa Clara(a team that beat SMC twice this season),they don`t get taken out of the WCC tourney too early.They should still make the NCAA`s,deserve it.

I am planning to go to at least some of the WCC Tournament in Santa Clara. Even though Gonzaga and St. Mary's have had great seasons, the tournament is really up for grabs.

Among the 3 Bay Area arch-rivals, USF beat Santa Clara twice this year, Santa Clara beat St. Mary's twice, but St. Mary's beat Santa Clara twice. All of them were close games except Santa Clara's blowout win at St. Mary's when the Gaels were dead cold. St. Mary's and Gonzaga get byes into the semi-finals on Sunday. USF would have to win 4 games, while Santa Clara would have to win 3 games to get the NCAA automatic bid.

I think St. Mary's will get an at large bid if Gonzaga wins the tournament. Gonzaga will be in the NCAA irrespective of what happens in the WCC Tournament. But the problem for St. Mary's could be if someone else wins this thing, like host Santa Clara. Then the Gaels would be on the bubble because there are questions as to whether the NCAA would take 3 teams from this 8 team conference.

What a concept an 8 team conference.

I like the WCC,and think it is underrated,I think alot of it is because the games are so late and most people don`t get to watch them.

Randy was an assistant here,and has proven he can flat out coach.One reason I have really jumped on the bandwagon is because I can watch the Gaels games on tv,they are on all the time(like how we used to be on Fox-Midwest)Fox-Bay Area,Fox-West ,Fox-West 2,Fox-NW.They are an exciting team,catch them if you can.If not watch em in the sweet 16.

To me, Bennett's performance at SMC should give SLU followers hope. He took over a team from a small college, much smaller than SLU, that went 2-27 the year before he arrived and now has that team on the brink of the NCAA Tournament. Plus, he spent 2 years at SLU as the top assistant under Lorenzo Romar.

I know who he is - my question is why would Bills fans care. His every move is reported on this board by some and I can not figure out why. So he was Romar's assistant - he could not get any recruits here either - clearly he is a west coast guy and that is fine. I wish him luck but like I said - who cares as it relates to the Bills - the orginal post said he was sighted a high school game out there that is a little much. By the way, SMC is hardly a bb power - lets see if he can continue with it or even if he stays past this year.

I bet Randy was behind the scenes in Lattimore`s recruitment.He`s went international at SMC,I think they have 5 foreign players,and kickert went to the same school as Andrew.He said that in the USA Saint Mary`s wasn`t that big of a name,but in foreign countries being near san francisco,Cali,and in the USA,that gets attention.Have you seen the Gaels this season?

No, I have not seen them but that is not the point - there are lots of teams many of us have not seen that are playing good ball right now and people are not posting about them My only question still is - why post about Bennett and SMC on this board - post on the other one if you must. As I said, to tell us that he was seen at a h.s. basketball game in CA makes absolutely no sense to me - as I said what has that got to do with SLU? I am not attacking the guy or his program just asking why some think they have to continuing posting about him - he has been gone 3 years for goodness sakes.

Cheeseman,

Bennett is a good guy and former Bills assistant doing good in his next job. It interests me and I don't have a good deal of interest in basketball outside of the Bills and Missouri's woes. There is a lot of stuff posted here about Romar, and Dick Bennett, and all sorts of coaches not currently coaching the Bills. If you don't want to see it, don't click on it.

Thanks,

Rich