Misplaced Anger: Bernie Miklasz isn't why SLU sucks

pooch1918

no argument there. but i think your label should have been about student apathy then. but that is semantics. good point.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it matters, but not necessarily covered better. like i said, the new democrat does a better job of covering the news from all angles than the post. if you think the new democrat only concerns itself with metro east happenings, you are wrong. it covers the national scene very well. the sports department is far better and covers all the teams in the area both pro and area high school and colleges, and the editorial staff is top notch. political cartoonist, glenn mccoy has won many many journalistic awards for his efforts. other than a thicker classified section, i cant think of an single aspect of the post that is superior.

I agree. But we're coming from two different sides here- you're arguing that the N-D is better, whereas I'm arguing that that doesn't matter as much as the circulation of the P-D. If the post writes an article criticising the Bills on the same day that the N-D writes an article in praise, which is more significant?

ok i see your point. but i thought that was basically the whole argument of the entire string. debating the quality of the post dispatch and the writers and reporters.

Roy...OK, I'll take the bait on whether this is a more discouraging season than Highmark and Claggett's 5-23 freshman year---just for fun.......the debacle of that year gave us Debbie Yow rising to prominence, Charlie Spoonhour (and, by extension, Donnie Dobbs and H. Waldman), the dawn of the Great Midwest Conference, Northwestern transfer Evan Pederson and our only top 25 rankings. All of that happened BECAUSE of the 91-92 squad. If this current crew pays off with ANYTHING close to those results...I'll happily eat crow.

Back in the day the PD was looked upon as a pretty big time paper, but over the years it is no longer what it once was. Part of it is that the PD doesn't have any competiton anymore since the Globe-Democrat closed, so it doesn't have anything to push it.

I took a journalism class last semester and have become somewhat adept at critiquing newspapers. I was in Washington DC over the weekend, and while I didn't get around to buying a Washington Post to critique, the conference I attended gave me a free copy of the Washington Times. I plan on looking through that in the near future to see if the #2 paper in DC is better than the PD.

i dont know if you were around in the grawer era, but i was. and i can guarantee you that i did not think that the billikens would be undefeated at xmas and entering the top 20 in two years then.