Quotes from Bernie

davidnark

We're going to have to earn their (the casual sports fans) respect back. Bernie could certainly help with that but his ego is bruised..sniff...sniff. This year is brutal and could've been great without hockey around. It is a missed opportunity but hardly grounds for chucking out the baby with the bathwater (even if it does smell like bernie's after a three bucket trip to the kfc.)

The long and the short of it is, the team and Brad didn't implode , with whining and mass transfers and job actions among the players. Brad and the boys held together under pressure and for that at least, credit goes to Brad.

Somewhat!

I have no problem with someone being disgraced with this year and on the surface I am too. While I have diagreed with NYBill many times on many things, he calls it as he sees it. I think we all are guilty of that. On the surface, this year has been a disgrace and despite being close in games, we still lost way too many games. Wins are what counts. If the opposite were true in regards to winning games we shouldn't have against better teams and barely pulling them out, we'd all be happy with the record and very few people would be concerned if we weren't as good as our record. I have no problem with anyone calling out SLU or Brad.

Here's the thing though. At some point, you have to cut your losses and move on with the negative thoughts. That's what being a true fan is all about. Believe me, it took me a while to do that. In fact, the light at the end of the tunnel to me was an oncoming train. But, as I always do, I eventually get over the anger and realize this isn't life or death and my family or friends aren't negatively affected by a losing season and change my perspective. That being said, I am excited about what's been going on. The first half of the Louisville game and several of the last few games have been refreshing watching our young players. I am not even going to go on and drool over next year's recruits until I see them play in a Billiken uniform. But, these young players who are playing now are showing promise and if the hype about Tommie and Kevin are true, then all the better. The reason I think this team is on a positive growth pattern is that I look at all the players we have. I can honestly say I believe this program will FINALLY be good. I say that because despite this season, I think Brad is a very good coach and unlike many other years we have numerous players who I believe will make a difference in the future. In years past, we had one or two or none. Now, even if something happens to one player or maybe two, we still have other players who I believe we can look to. That's how you build a good program for years to come and that's how the top teams do it. Even if they lose a great player or two, they can still compete. Maybe not a final four team, but one who can still win games. I can't remember another time in recent memory where we had the depth we will have. Yes, there are still missing pieces of the puzzle, but I have faith we will fill those in gradually.

I tend to agree with AlumniFan most of the time, and I must say while I agree with NYBill on some of his post, he does seem unhappy a lot.

the point was cheesy that bernie was so uninformed about the high school/ college scene, he didnt even know the name of one of the best sophomores in the city at the time. to make the statement he did only illustrates how out of touch he really was. now a true basketball fan knew this. but the fans that bernie touches is the guy that doesnt take the time to know what we know. the casual fan that will bite off on whatever bernie tells him/her and then react with their fan dollars accordingly.

"This is not the first time he has erred in his column to the detriment of SLU. Those who regularly read Bernie's bits column may remember when he criticized SLU for not signing Troy Slaten--who is currently an average D2 player. Those who read Bernie's forum may also remember when he claimed that Dwayne "Pope"--a sophomore at Vashon at the time--would be following Jimmey McKinney to Mizzou."

However, although showing that Bernie was uninformed, this example did not seem to indicate any sort of "detriment to slu." that was my point.