DC

slu72

I checked the stat board. DC has seen time in only 7 games...just didn't realize that. I would expect he'd be out of here after this season and back to a small MN school. Anyone have a feel for this? How did this guy go from, "Where really impressed with the work he's done over the summer", to starting 1st game, to some minutes, and now nada. What has he done or not done to put himself in the doghouse?

He never took a redshirt so I would guess he would end up at a mid-major type school. Something is just not right, our team is begging for a guy to hit an outside shot and DC could be that guy but just can't get on the floor. I don't know the reason, but I agree he should probably be elsewhere next year.

I have only seen him a couple times this year, but when he was in, he seemed outmatched. In the SIU game, the D really put the pressure on him and he did not seem quick enough and definitely not strong enough to handle it. He needs a redshirt more than anybody on the team, just to physically mature, get some muscle on him.

archie said, "I have only seen him a couple times this year, but when he was in, he seemed outmatched. In the SIU game, the D really put the pressure on him and he did not seem quick enough and definitely not strong enough to handle it"

archie, imo, you are mixing what you are seeing. i agree he looks outmatched, but not because of strength or athleticism shortcomings. i think it is more of an attitude/confidence issue. there have been instances when he was in the game where we have seen the burst of speed, a jump, a nice shot. but too often he just looks lost or even maybe disinterested.

i just dont have clue what we really have with darren, but it sure seems like he doesnt fit. i thought for sure he would leave at xmas. it would have allowed him to be eligible anywhere next xmas as a sophomore which would have been perfect for breaking in with a different program. personally i am disappointed it appears it hasnt worked out for darren. from what i understand he is a very nice young man and obviously brad saw something he liked.

but now the numbers at the guard spots start getting complicated next year.

i dont think that is true. it would be treated like a redshirt year and i think he would have been a second semester sophomore. no different than reggie who transfered after his sophomore season sat out a full year then was a junior the next year. he did not lose any time.

Trust me on this. Players that transfer in mid-season sit out a year of residence at their new school, and they're one class further along in their eligibility than when they transferred. If transfer in the middle of your sophomore season, you'll be a junior the next season and you won't be able to resume play until after the end of the first semester. That's why you rarely see players transfer in mid season.

Players can't play part of the season and still use a redshirt for that season, unless it's a medical hardship, which must be approved by the NCAA. Even then, a player can't have played in more than a small percentage of his team's games -- usually around two or three. Clarke can't redshirt this season, so next year he'll be a junior, period.

ok, you are definitely more sure than what i am. but if clarke transfers in may, then sits a year he will still be a junior in the fall of 2006 then right?

Darren is an enigma...wasn't he considered pretty close to a can't miss on a very good HS team, or was that just reading more into reports I read on this very website. By the way, I'm not trying to say that he was a HS AA because he was not that highly rated either. The best player on his team Humphrey (I believe) signed with Duke and then decided he wanted out and ended up at MN. IMO this is a prime example of a kid that did not live up to expectations, and unfortunately for us ends up a wasted scholie. Unlike Anthony or Justin (he looks like a wasted scholie too) Coach did not give Darren a scholie on the run. I really believe it was thought that this kid had a decent chance of being a good player. What went wrong here...Coach's ability to develop...the kid not making any effort...or somewhere in between???

It's disappointing that, so far, that the recruits that Brad Soderberg signed either in the late signing period or later have contributed significantly more, in general, than the recruits he inked in the early signing period.

Among the early signees: Brandon Morris never made it; Darren Clarke has played little; Luke Meyer has faced a tough adjustment to D-1 ball; Dwayne Polk has experienced growing pains; and we've had to wait an extra year for Tommie Liddell.

Among the stopgap recruits: Justin Johnson hasn't done much but seems to have potential; Reggie Bryant has been the primary scorer; Izik Ohanon has (finally) become a complementary scorer; Anthony Drejaj has been a solid contributor (until this year); Bryce Husak is tall; Tom Frericks had a solid junior season before injuries ended his career prematurely this year; Ian Vouyoukas is a starter and appears to be coming around; Vas'shun Newborne has been the biggest disappointment; Antwon Alexander didn't make it; and Danny Brown has been a pleasant development.

I hope that Liddell and Kevin Lisch show why they were coveted recruits and that the two (or three, if someone transfers) late signees continue the trend of demonstrating they are more than expected.