Play defense for 5 seconds for the tie, or foul for the win?

Aquinas

Foul. If the shooter makes both. A 2 point basket ties,  a 3 wins. If shooter makes 1, a 2 wins. If he misses the second shot, must get rebound and up the floor in 5 sec.

What were the odds of them scoring in 5 sec. We had Ez and Dalger out.

Then there is the specifics on the odds of winning in overtime. We were at home. On the other hand Ez and Dalger had fouled out and they had everyone, including  their bigs.

14 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Foul. If the shooter makes both. A 2 point basket ties,  a 3 wins. If shooter makes 1, a 2 wins. If he misses the second shot, must get rebound and up the floor in 5 sec.

Then there is the specifics on the odds of winning in overtime. We were at home. On the other hand Ez and Dalger had fouled out and they had everyone, including  their bigs.

I was really waiting to make this point. Their guard was past Jimerson and we were in no position to stop him. He was probably going to go coast to coast and win it. Low key, decent foul. 

18 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

i said the same thing right when the foul was called.   It seemed almost certain L Tech would get at least 1 point in a 6 second possession.   The foul wasn't textbook procedure but it sure worked out.  

The foul was not planned.  Everyone was walking around with their hands on their head like they couldn't believe it including Gibby.  Ford was stunned.  I agree that the foul worked out because it stopped the clock which turned out to be essential.  What I wondered was why La Tech did not miss the second shot.  That would have created a situation where we would have had to get the rebound and then it would have been a bit helter skelter and getting a shot off would have been more difficult.  If we did not get the rebound then we would have had to foul again.  More valuable time off the clock and a chance for them to go up by 3.  

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The foul was not planned.  Everyone was walking around with their hands on their head like they couldn't believe it including Gibby.  Ford was stunned.  I agree that the foul worked out because it stopped the clock which turned out to be essential.  What I wondered was why La Tech did not miss the second shot.  That would have created a situation where we would have had to get the rebound and then it would have been a bit helter skelter and getting a shot off would have been more difficult.  If we did not get the rebound then we would have had to foul again.  More valuable time off the clock and a chance for them to go up by 3.  

agree it wasn't planned but kinda glad it happened!   you can't dream these things up.  Glad we made the trek to the game because I've never seen anything like it.