Questions About Game

aj_arete

Appears SLU had open shots, but just couldn't knock them down. At least, they saved their worse shooting night for an exhibition game. Looks like Frericks had a decent game with the most rebounds of any player on the court with 8.

Questions that I would like answered:

Was Varner a liability on the defensive end again?

Is it true Bryant didn't play much? If so, that might account for the low offensive output.

Did the Billikens take care of the ball?

Unfortunately, I didn't hear the Soderberg interview with KFNS cutting to ESPN radio programming.

reggie played only eight minutes and took two shots. brad did this purposely since we won't have him for the first three games. he went with the guys who will be there. Ian didn't play at all, since he won't be there for 10. he is by far our best shooter, so i think we probably win the game if he plays the 30-35 minutes he's expected to play. our 2-21 shooting from the 3-point line would have been a little better.

>Was Varner a liability on the defensive end again?

>Is it true Bryant didn't play much? If so, that might

>account for the low offensive output.

>Did the Billikens take care of the ball?

1. Varner was not a liability, but he does nothing well either. One problem if he is on the court at the 4, then sloan has to defend the 3 which it is pretty apparent he cannot do anymore. Price ate up Sloan. Varner continues to get in the way on rebounds, he jumped into Sloan early in the first half and knocked a ball out of bounds on a ball Sloan had control of, Sloan was very po'ed. If Izik cannot sack up or we do not have enough depth to go to a 3 guard attack and Varner plays heavy minutes at the 4, this team is in BIG trouble.

2. Bryant played very little, he hit one nice jumper. I think he needs to be on the court a few minutes to find a rythym on offense which is why he needs to start. He did play better defensively.

3. Only 10 TOs for the Bills, they did a decent job of protecting the ball but then again we ran the ball well early, but the last 30 minutes of the game we never took any chances with the ball. We should have kept running, so I think the TO numbers are a little deceptive as we played extra careful with the ball when we should have pushed a little more.

I find that hard to believe. I remember him completely shutting down Reece Gaines. Has he bulked up so much that he lost the quickness to guard perimeter players? I always thought Sloan's best defensive position was out on the perimeter guarding a big guard or small forward. Can anyone else confirm that?

After hearing the details, I'm not as worried about the loss. It just goes to show you that any significant injuries to this squad could be devastating.

Don't be fooled by the report that sloan cannot guard a 3-- He forced price to take very tough shots on the move and he had 3 or 4 prayers answered. chris can still guard the 3 position. But the problem is that he really tries to play great help defense and sometimes that will leave his man open for a long shot outside. If the guy hits shots then he will score. If the only problem we have is whether Chris can guard the 3 position then we have no problems.

Price blew by Sloan a couple times and then he had to play off of him and let him get some good shots, they were not preyers, simple baseline jumpers. Price was a very good player though. Drejaj was able to play up on him and shut him down.

After Bryant serves his suspension, we shall have the depth to go with 3 guards when the other team has an exceptionally quick 3 that Sloan cannot stay with on the wing. Josh and Drejaj have the strength to defend a 3 that has a few inches on them. Although I did not see last night's game, I would be surprised if Chris Sloan was not able to match up strongly with the vast majority of 3s the Bills face this season.

But I'm more concerned about the offensive end if IO is inconsistent. Josh, Sloan, Drejaj and Frericks all have to step up offensively in those early games.