Recruiting suspended until April 15

ACE

I was looking for a positive way forward since March Sadness and now this.

SLU can still get commitments (Donte Houston) so we can talk about that.

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'd imagine this is just for traveling to recruit, right?  Hopefully Travis is good on the phone / social media.

Correct. It's basically a previously unscheduled dead period.

The dead period went into effect Friday, which means no on-campus or off-campus recruiting for over a month's time. Contact between coaches and prospective student-athletes is still allowed through phone calls and text messages. These recruiting restrictions are in effect for all of Division I across every sport. 

FBS and FCS college football were in a the recruiting "quiet period" prior to the shutdown. That period, which does allow contact between players and coaches, was scheduled to last until April 15 when the spring "evaluation period" is slated to start.

To put it simply, coaches can't have players on campus during a time in which they normally would be able to visit.

Basketball is already in a "dead period" that was slated to end on April 1, when its postseason one day "quiet period" was scheduled to start. It was then scheduled to go back into the "dead period" for a week before the normal recruiting period cranked up on April 9.

This sucks for spring recruits. I wonder how this will change recruiting timelines for guys who had been planning visits in the coming weeks. We might either see guys scrambling to commit early or we may see a really late commitment and signing timeline this year, going into late summer.

Nike EYBL cancelled its first two events, both scheduled for April. Bad news for 2021 and younger recruits.

I have to imagine Adidas Gauntlet and UA Association are next.

Extra incentive for our coaches to really stay on the 2021 locals - Kern, Nesbitt, Keita, and Gassama, in particular.