Starting To Care About Billiken Basketball Again

First, it was distance as I moved away from St. Louis. Then it was the aftermath of the Majerus era where it was just painful to watch the team. I started not caring and only occasionally watching the box scores. However, I just hear Travis Ford talking about the team and how emotionally connected he is to the team and I feel the love he has for those guys.

This press conference between Coach Ford, Eliott Welmer and Davel Roby was powerful. You saw two mature, mentally strong individuals on the podium answering questions. You could tell that they've experienced some tough love from Ford's coaching, but they've embraced it. Then you hear Ford talk and the pride just gushes forward. Let's envision a long, successful run at SLU where Travis Ford could go down as one of the most successful Billiken coaches in history and he'll never forget this 2016-2017 team. They set the foundation with their perseverance, humility, and effort. Maybe they won't experience much basketball success in the future, but their riches will be enjoyed in their occupations and families. To that, they owe some of that to Ford and to even Jim Crews. Crews might not have picked out talent, but he did find character.

Link: 

Roby's smile is infectious!  Love his comment regarding Welmer, "Heck, he's older than me."  And Coach telling the team. "You deserve this, go win this game."

Coach also had a telling line in that they have learned how to minimize their weaknesses.  Also liked his line that he says some pretty crazy things in the TO's. The players just look at him with big eyes, nodding yes, and then go and do it.