FIRE JIM CREWS

JayOren1

It all depends on what improvement we see. If we have a repeat of what we had this year, he is gone. I can't see how May would let him stay if we don't improve dramatically. If we see the team improve enough next year where it is realistic to say we have a good shot at making the tourney with the freshman as juniors, without FBJT, then I think he stays.

You bring up an important point Joe, in a situation like the one we have now it is important to clearly define goals and outcomes and adhere to them. Things cannot be left to "substantial improvement" and a gentleman's handshake. So, I assume a set of goals will be defined in the very near future and approved by both Crews and the AD. Both parties need this type of definition, otherwise things will get murky and may get ugly next year. For example what exactly do you mean by "team improved enough next year to say we have a good shot at making the tourney with the freshman as juniors." That goal is so full of ill defined subjective holes, big holes, that you would have to be nuts to accept it. They (Crews and the AD) are going to need a mutually acceptable set of goals, or else Crews should walk and let them get a new coach. It is not easy to deal with future performance issues like the ones we have now. A clear definition of achievable goals for next year will do much to improve the situation.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recalll too many saying we'd win 20 games. We may have been a little higher on our recruits than we are at this time.

I said 20 wins and the CBI, but even I was not delusional enough to talk about making the tourney. I don't remember anyone seriously suggesting that, outside of one thread right after the Indiana State game that everybody quickly doused.

Another old guys thoughts, Jimbo. We all knew this year was not going to be a repeat of the previous 3 years. Most of us who have been on here for a while fully expected a sharp decline in the W's. Some thing like the early RM years as he began to build his program. We all understood the ramifications of losing our whole starting lineup of 5 very good SRs and replacing them with FR and no returning proven veterans. This season was bound to happen and the most we could hope for was that we would see steady consistent development of the players and the overall quality in how they played as a team. I think what's most disappointing to us die hard Bills fans was not in the final record, but in the lack of improvement, actually deterioration, in individual players and how they played as a team.

.... We experienced some bad games in RMs first season, but toward the end you could at least see what he was trying to accomplish. I'm not sure what we were trying to accomplish this year. That blame lays squarely at the feet of JC. Instead of all those confusing rotations, he would have been better off playing 7-8 guys that would at least try and play as a team by setting good screens, kicking the ball out, providing help on D. That would have got the message across to the guys who wanted to do it "my way". It very likely would not have produced a better record, but it might well have given us an idea of what JC was trying to build. Instead, we got chaotic BB and a whole bunch of embarrassing defeats at the hands of the league's bottom feeders.

Yes, he'll get another year, and who knows maybe more. But I'm hoping if next year's a repeat of this season, the admin will wake up and smell the coffee and do what's necessary to jump start this program.

I think it would only be fair for everyone to note that Coach Crews explained that the unpredictability of rotations was because the players failed to earn the coaches' trust regarding the little things necessary to play. Why keep playing guys if they won't do the first right thing, let alone the next right thing, or trust the process (to use some of the coach's buzzwords)?

Look at the coaches in your examples!

Coach Crews may not be on the level of a Rick Majerus — very few people are — but I believe he's a more respectable head coach than for you to insinuate that he's far below Charlie Spoonhour.

I'm confident that Jim Crews is a good coach and that he will keep SLU respectable, if not be a key component in helping establish SLU as a perennial contender, as started by Coach Majerus. Without question this past season was painfully dreadful, but I believe it represents a detour, not destruction.

I think it would only be fair for everyone to note that Coach Crews explained that the unpredictability of rotations was because the players failed to earn the coaches' trust regarding the little things necessary to play. Why keep playing guys if they won't do the first right thing, let alone the next right thing, or trust the process (to use some of the coach's buzzwords)?

Coach Crews may not be on the level of a Rick Majerus — very few people are — but I believe he's a more respectable head coach than for you to insinuate that he's far below Charlie Spoonhour.

I'm confident that Jim Crews is a good coach and that he will keep SLU respectable, if not be a key component in helping establish SLU as a perennial contender, as started by Coach Majerus. Without question this past season was painfully dreadful, but I believe it represents a detour, not destruction.

now i see old guy saying more than a year, i hope you are right, or you can help fill the Fetz where everyone wants to play. i won't stand for mediocrity. I hope i eat my words

I don't recalll too many saying we'd win 20 games. We may have been a little higher on our recruits than we are at this time.

Didn't someone just bump the thread where it was shown that most people predicted 20+ wins and a postseason appearance?