At least the Dayton fans appreciate SLU...

davidnark

Thanks for the link. I think the "direct" link is as follows:

http://www.udpride.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?...ic;f=1;t=004077

Very good comments by the way. As is noted by one of the posters, the "purists" of the Northeast can't fathom that there are civilized folks west of Ohio. Another noted that the GW president's comments about academics was way off with regard to SLU. It will be interesting to see who really has the power in the A10 as things proceed. Is it GW and the northeastern schools or do the Ohio schools have some clout.

I can guarantee you that Xavier fans are looking forward to this as well. The problem you have is some of the schools in the A-10 who are struggling see themselves struggling even more or getting booted when two better schools come in.

xu95

Many of the A Ten schools are always going to be pro east coast, and even though Dayton and Xavier have been members for a number of years now, we still get a lot of flack for being "in the sticks" and not really east coast programs as the original teams were. The muskies and flyers are also by far the leading schools in attendance, and over the last few years have turned the west division into the dominant side of mens basketball. Adding two well attended basketball schools, neither of which is "east or northeast" probably doesn't set well with some of the programs that maybe don't feel they need any more competition than they already have. I personally can't wait as we already have a good relationship with St. Louis and Charlotte always seems to be in the hunt in Conference USA, so it's obvious they're no slouches themselves. Look forward to having you both in our conference, as we shouild continue to be the best non basketball league in the country. Hope to see some billiken fans on New Years eve at the decibal dungeun for a rocking good time as we finish off the old year with one of our new members.

The ESPN article apparently used an unnamed source to cast a slightly negative spin on SLU and Charlotte going to the A-10. Nowhere have I seen ANYONE make very negative comments about the "sticks".

In fact the opposite is true--I have seen nothing but POSITIVE desires to have SLU and Charlotte included (all basically see them as great add competitive). I frequent the UMass board and see the Rhode Island press.

The only negative comment on academics was GW's president who was pushing a weak argument to include BU. I doubt this argument would be very persuasive to many people and SignGuy already took Trachtenberg to task in the GW school paper.

I won't deny there are some East Coast biases in other contexts but manufacturing a negative feeling that does not exist in this context looks like insecurity and paranoia.

(a midwesterner living in the northeast--although everybody I meet seems to be from North Carolina).

I don't know about you but I have spent a good deal of time in NY, Boston and the DC area and when I tell people I am from St. Louis they are shocked. I think alot of east coasters think civilization ends beyond the appalachians, they would be hard pressed to believe we have fire and the wheel in missouri.

I don't foresee any problems getting into the A-10. Charlotte and SLU are a good athletic and scholastic fit into the A-10. A few teams are just afraid their programs will get downgraded because of our addition. Whats good for the conference though will overide any trepidations on the part of the straggling schools. Eventually they will ahve to upgrade or get out. This may just speed up the process slightly.

Right you are, I've been posting so many messages about football and non football scenarios lately, after a while everything seems to run together. Yes, we should have the best non-football league in the country and on the fourth, it hopefuly will be official and the billikens and 49ers can be welcomed into our conference. Don't know if you heard yet but Xavier will be holding the A Ten tournament starting in 2005, right after we have it for the second time, so it's staying out here in the midwest for at least three more years. I think it's being held at the First Star center which holds 15-17,000 so they'll be plenty of seats and though it's a good drive from St. louis, it beats having to go all the way to Philly to catch the championship.Good luck this season.