ESPN's too early top 25

slu72

Only 5 teams outside of BCSers ranked. WSU, VCU, Nova, Zags, SDSU. Jay Bilas must be po'd it wasn't all bigs. Damn interlopers.

That sounds about right. Kentucky and Wisconsin should probably be 1-2. Arizona, Duke, and Kansas (especially if they get Turner) should fill out the top 5. UConn and Syracuse (Syracuse shouldn't be in the top 25) are ranked too high, and Texas should probably be closer to the top 10. Otherwise, not a whole lot to dispute here.

What non-BCSers do you think should be on there?

And who should they replace?

No idea. Though I Thought Georgetown might have a shot. And The Flyers always seem to get some preseason love. I was just relating what it was, not arguing with it. As for The Bilas shot, he loves the bigs, so he should be happy as a clam.

No idea. Though I Thought Georgetown might have a shot. And The Flyers always seem to get some preseason love. I was just relating what it was, not arguing with it. As for The Bilas shot, he loves the bigs, so he should be happy as a clam.

Where is the "Bilas loves the bigs" line coming from? From what I can recall, he's been pretty high on SLU the last two tournaments, and, in any case, has been one of the more consistently thoughtful and insightful basketball commentators out there.

Where is the "Bilas loves the bigs" line coming from? From what I can recall, he's been pretty high on SLU the last two tournaments, and, in any case, has been one of the more consistently thoughtful and insightful basketball commentators out there.

ill just sit back and watch this one fly off the handle

ill just sit back and watch this one fly off the handle

I'm not taking the Devil's bait and attack one of his Duke idols. Let's just say while Bilas might have shown some respect for the Bills recent success, all respect, like glory, is fleeting.

I'm not taking the Devil's bait and attack one of his Duke idols. Let's just say while Bilas might have shown some respect for the Bills recent success, all respect, like glory, is fleeting.

It's funny you mention that, because Bilas (and, to a greater extent, Jay Williams) is largely reviled by the Duke fan community for being unnecessarily harsh on and dissociating himself from the team. I guess that's just how these things work: both sides think the voice in charge is biased and out to get them, but neither side is right. (For what it's worth, I think Bilas is probably one of the top basketball commentators out there. And I'm not a fan of Williams, but that's just because Williams is bad at his job.)

It's funny you mention that, because Bilas (and, to a greater extent, Jay Williams) is largely reviled by the Duke fan community for being unnecessarily harsh on and dissociating himself from the team. I guess that's just how these things work: both sides think the voice in charge is biased and out to get them, but neither side is right. (For what it's worth, I think Bilas is probably one of the top basketball commentators out there. And I'm not a fan of Williams, but that's just because Williams is bad at his job.)

Williams is young, fresh, and opinionated for sure but bad at his job is a stretch. Network still pays him the big bucks so he must be doing something right. As for Bilas he used to be alot like Jay back in the day but has now softened into more of a consensus commentator. He rarely put himself out there or goes against the grain these days.

Williams is young, fresh, and opinionated for sure but bad at his job is a stretch. Network still pays him the big bucks so he must be doing something right. As for Bilas he used to be alot like Jay back in the day but has now softened into more of a consensus commentator. He rarely put himself out there or goes against the grain these days.

I'm not a fan of Williams because I just never find his commentary insightful. He's like the John Madden of basketball: "If they want to win, they're going to have to hit from 3 and play solid defense." Yes, thanks, Jay. I much prefer a guy like Bilas, who seems more adept at breaking down plays, analyzing game trends and numbers, etc. (and who, from a purely superficial standpoint, just has a better sense of humor and a more engaging personality).

And I'll admit, I do kinda side with the Duke crowd in being suspicious of Williams: he's done some rankings/had some discussions where it seems like he was consciously avoiding mentioning Duke in a positive light (or mentioning Duke at all). I realize objectivity is prized in commentary, but I don't think that means you have to swing the other way to compensate.

I'm not a fan of Williams because I just never find his commentary insightful. He's like the John Madden of basketball: "If they want to win, they're going to have to hit from 3 and play solid defense." Yes, thanks, Jay. I much prefer a guy like Bilas, who seems more adept at breaking down plays, analyzing game trends and numbers, etc. (and who, from a purely superficial standpoint, just has a better sense of humor and a more engaging personality).

And I'll admit, I do kinda side with the Duke crowd in being suspicious of Williams: he's done some rankings/had some discussions where it seems like he was consciously avoiding mentioning Duke in a positive light (or mentioning Duke at all). I realize objectivity is prized in commentary, but I don't think that means you have to swing the other way to compensate.

You definitely have a point and Bilas is definitely a good analyst. Williams has alot to learn but usually these guys get better at their craft with age. Time has a way of working it out.