What record would be necessary to crack the top 10 by season's end?

hsmith19

Yes, I know none of us are worried about rankings (or our current lack of votes) at this point, but what would it take to improve on last season's year-end ranking and tournament seed? Even with games like Wichita State and 2 x VCU, it seems like the margin of error to reach Top 10 or #3 seed territory will be very slim. Am I right to assume that anything over 3 regular season losses would make it next to impossible to top last season in either category? I know I am not in the same category as most on here in terms of Pomeroy prognostication, so i am anxious to hear others' thoughts.

This has nothing to do with votes or lack thereof. If you please check the Team Rankings site. On their home page for NCAA basketball, they have a "College Basketball Preseason ratings for 2013-2014." Before the Fontbonne game we were listed as #35, today (probably it changed before today) we are listed at #29 in that list. This board is likely to be interested in noting that VCU was listed prior to their first game at # 13, and now they are listed at #20. Food for thought here. To further confuse things, the same site Team Rankings has a page for the Overall Rankings, they have just released their overall rankings for 11/8/2013, SLU is listed as overall #16, VCU is listed at #26. Please check the pages, the numbers are correctly posted here. Now, it makes absolutely no sense that in one place of team rankings we are listed at # 29 and in another we are listed at #16. What this indicates most likely is that this site uses different methodology in their preseason previews, and in their main overall rankings list. It also indicates without a shade of a doubt that before playing starts in earnest all of this ranking business is largely a matter of guessing and projection. They need to see the results of a number of games actually played to establish a team ranking. There is no need to lose sleep over this kind of thing at this time.

This has nothing to do with votes or lack thereof. If you please check the Team Rankings site. On their home page for NCAA basketball, they have a "College Basketball Preseason ratings for 2013-2014." Before the Fontbonne game we were listed as #35, today (probably it changed before today) we are listed at #29 in that list. This board is likely to be interested in noting that VCU was listed prior to their first game at # 13, and now they are listed at #20. Food for thought here. To further confuse things, the same site Team Rankings has a page for the Overall Rankings, they have just released their overall rankings for 11/8/2013, SLU is listed as overall #16, VCU is listed at #26. Please check the pages, the numbers are correctly posted here. Now, it makes absolutely no sense that in one place of team rankings we are listed at # 29 and in another we are listed at #16. What this indicates most likely is that this site uses different methodology in their preseason previews, and in their main overall rankings list. It also indicates without a shade of a doubt that before playing starts in earnest all of this ranking business is largely a matter of guessing and projection. They need to see the results of a number of games actually played to establish a team ranking. There is no need to lose sleep over this kind of thing at this time.

Old Guy, nice post. I don't pay attention to preseason rankings. In my opinion that is how the media guys sell whatever they may be selling. Talent is one thing, but until these guys get on the hardwood and all the personalities, game strategy, and the like come together, its anybody's guess on season outcome.

Just checked the initial projections for the NCAA tournament given to SLU by Team rankings. SLU is given a 75.6% chance of going to the tournament, most likely seed is projected (at this time before play start) at #5 seed. They are giving us a 23.4% probability to reach Sweet 16 level. Keep in mind that these are projections done before the start of actual play.

Just checked the initial projections for the NCAA tournament given to SLU by Team rankings. SLU is given a 75.6% chance of going to the tournament, most likely seed is projected (at this time before play start) at #5 seed. They are giving us a 23.4% probability to reach Sweet 16 level. Keep in mind that these are projections done before the start of actual play.

I saw that. Given the weaker schedule this year, it seems like a major vote of confidence. With more experience and what should be (in my opinion) a deeper roster than last year, a better seed and regular season ranking shouldn't be out of the question. Some people are never interested in projecting anything, but I think it is interesting to ponder. You have to talk about SOMETHING before there is a meaningful sample of games to pull from, after all...

Check the dates, if they are posted. Without looking, I suspect the "Overall rankings" you cite are last year's final rankings.