Doug Woolard to be on KFNS at 4:30 (nm)

He said SLU moving to the A10 was absolutely a positive. He noted similar points that I've raised, that the A10 will provide enhanced exposure for SLU to prospective students on the East coast (including the Northeast). Further, the quality of the basketball programs and overall similarity of schools makes the A10 a very good option for SLU. Overall Jennings Sr. was very positive on SLU's move to the A10.

As to Claiborne, I would agree he has a deep sense of self appreciation. I'm sure he's one of the "best" in town-- just ask him.

i am guessing that if you took slu and charlotte out of the current conference usa and compared that the current a-10, that the a-10 would be better. as it stands right now, cusa normally finishes barely ahead of the a-10 rpi wise, so take out two of the upper half teams would seem to me to bring cusa down? am i thinking right on that?

my opinion is that cusa has better top teams, but from top to bottom the a-10 is more balanced.

the other issues like like philosophies and like academics go without saying. the a-10 would win from that viewpoint hands down.

The A10 and Conference USA may be equally good for SLU (as the conferences currently exist). Each has advantages and disadvantages. C-USA's primary advantage is greater luster from the marque programs (and their coaches), Cincinnati (Huggins), Louisville (Pitino), Memphis (Calipari), and Marquette (Crean); The A10's primary advantage is greater institutional similarity with SLU: 10 private schools, including eight catholic schools, four of which are jesuit (the religious affiliation means little to me, but I can appreciate that it matters to others and is good for SLU).

Now, before C-USA added TCU and East Carolina (which weakened C-USA) and before the A10 added Richmond (which strenghtened the A10), C-USA would have been a heavy favorite.

But, the bottom line is that Conference USA is changing. It's new make-up will bring it down to the level of conferences like the WAC and Mountain West and the A10 will rise up to take it's spot right behind the Power 6. Still, the revamped C-USA (with the addition of Tulsa) will be stronger than the Missouri Valley, but SLU wouldn't want to be a "Sesame Street exception": "Which one of these does not belong?" I could see it now: SLU would be a question on the ASVAB, MAP, or PSAT -- a) Memphis; :) Southern Miss; c) UAB; d) Saint Louis; e) Marshall: Which does not fit? People would figure out that the answer would be "D," because SLU is the only school on the list that doesn't play Div I-A football.