Strength of Schedule (SOS), tell me .......

Taj79

.... how does this gem work? I mean, you schedule a year or so out and teams you think will be worthwhile. For whatever reason, they are or they aren't. Ours this year --- Washington, Nova, BC and Oklahoma --- were less than stellar resultin gin what ESPN now says is an SOS of 110.. But were we that bad? St. Joe's currently has a SOS of 38. Really? Xavier has a 51. And Dayton, who' sbest claim to fame was Alabama and Murray State, has a 78 SOS.

Curious as to the formula, if anyone knows.

The RPI is a decimal number, Syracuse is first at 0.6747, Binghamton is last at 0.3369. The SOS is the average RPI of all the teams you've played. Michigan St has the strongest SOS at 0.6119.

I don't know how Colorado St has the #6 ranked SOS. But I do know that if a team plays a non-conference schedule of Kentucky, Syracuse, Chicago St, and Towson, and another team plays Bucknell, Illinois St, Robert Morris, and Idaho, the second team will probably have a higher SOS.

It is real tough for a team in a top 3 conference to have an SOS of 83 and 107, like Mi$$ouri and Cincinnati do.

.... how does this gem work? I mean, you schedule a year or so out and teams you think will be worthwhile. For whatever reason, they are or they aren't. Ours this year --- Washington, Nova, BC and Oklahoma --- were less than stellar resultin gin what ESPN now says is an SOS of 110.. But were we that bad? St. Joe's currently has a SOS of 38. Really? Xavier has a 51. And Dayton, who' sbest claim to fame was Alabama and Murray State, has a 78 SOS. Curious as to the formula, if anyone knows.

It is the 2/3rds the average record of the all the teams you play against and it is 1/3 the records of the teams that the teams you play against play against. Simple.

You will not get a great SOS by playing in the A-10 and playing 4-5 bad teams but playing in the A-10 means you will never have a terrible SOS either. If you want a decent SOS you have to schedule tougher--that way you do not need to rely on Southern Patagonia to win 20 games.

http://www.rpiforeca...m/live-rpi.html

Yeah what I said was wrong. I've been using that site above. It figures the Adjusted Winning Percentage (AWP), which counts home wins and road losses as 0.6, and road wins and home losses as 1.4. The SOS would then be the average AWP of the teams you've played?

Actually the Adjusted Win percentage does not factor in at all but it is an important factor for calculating your own RPI. I am pretty sure for the SOS portion you just use the opponents' straight up record (2/3rds) and your opponents' opponents straight up record (1/3rd).