Memories from long ago....

sonoma bob

In 1978 I met some silicon valley engineers from Switzerland who invited me down to their office to watch the World Cup final from Argentina, about 30 guys crowded around a TV screen smaller than my computer screen today. A few years later, the bars in San Francisco began installing these huge dishes on their roofs like NASA used back then. Some IU Hoosier alums I knew would call a bar with the satellite coordinates they got from Bloomington (games back there were shown state wide then) and we gathered to watch out here. It was such a big deal, Bobby Knight's son, who was a Stanford student back then, would drive up for the games.

Here it is 2012 and the game today was worse technically than anything I remember from 30 years ago!!! I don't know what the problem in SL or Dayton was today, but Fox should be ashamed. If the TV picture was as bad as the internet feed, the advertisers should get a refund.

Stuff happens, but it is remarkable that two consecutive games had such serious audio and video flaws, even the legal streams direct from CBS (St Bonaventure) and Fox (UD). Heck, I PAID for the CBS stream! It is also a remarkable coincidence that both feeds originated in Chaifetz Arena.

The Fox announcers knew they had issues; can anyone who watched Fox Ohio confirm that the dropouts were evident on cable, before streaming the net? Curious minds want to know wtf was happening.

Of course, I'll take unwatchable wins over High Definition losses any day if that's what it takes to win out the season!

The TV problems with the lost video feeds existed on Fox Sports Ohio, Fox Sports Cincinnati, and Fox Sports Midwest +, all on DirecTV. The 2 Ohio stations were not even HD, whereas Fox Sports Midwest + was in HD, with St. Louis commercials, but Dayton announcers. The Dayton announcers acknowledged the technical problems but didn't do a very good job of describing the play while the video feed was out. We didn't think they were giving a radio version.

It was a horrendous mess, a terrible way to watch a close game.

But the bottom line is that SLU won the game, which is what really matters.

It sounds like the problem is at Chaifetz Arena. Could some of you local guys talk to the good doctor to see if he could pony up a few more $$$ for whatever it takes to fix it?

It sounds like the problem is at Chaifetz Arena. Could some of you local guys talk to the good doctor to see if he could pony up a few more $$$ for whatever it takes to fix it?

More likely, the trouble occurred in an outsourced drive-by-night TV production truck & crew hired by CBS/Fox for "B" list add-on games. Notice these issues never arise when the game is featured on FSN or CBSsn or ESPN1/2. For important, scheduled-last-fall coverage, they use their own technical staff, equipment, and announcers. (Although the FSN sub-networks do seem to vary in quality by region. Perhaps they rely too much on local affiliates for technical work)

-that screen giving the message of 'technical difficulties' will look awesome in hd!!! ;)

the NCAA Tournament that I'm implying does not usually have technical difficulties