OT - Loyola (IL)

jbizzle09

Was looking for a basketball game to watch tonight and came across Loyola (IL) playing Cleveland St. on ESPNU. Needless to say, Cleveland St. won, and sent Loyola (IL) to an 0-12 record in the conference, and 5-17 overall. They are currently on a 10 game losing streak. I know that they brought Porter in there to rebuild the program, but 0-12 in the Horizon? And, they do have some Seniors and Juniors to rely on a bit. You'd figure they'd be able to win some games in conference.

The team went 16-15 last season, and that got Whitesell fired. I figure they expected a worse season this year due to graduations and adjustments to new coaching system, but winless in conference? From what I saw on TV, I don't even see any upside. They looked awful and out of it. Perhaps Porter has a big class coming in next year. Hopefully, his recruiting acumen pays off for the Ramblers fans.

Footnote: I figure if topics are going to be started about The Post-Dispatch and prayer before games, at least I can start one about actual basketball! ;)

Porter certainly lacks talent. Thomas, the kid from Clayton that we wanted to walkon, has started 10 games and plays 25 minutes a game. He would be behind Glaze and Manning in our rotation.

I caught a Loyola home game few weeks back on TV, I think it was Butler.Loyola kind of reminded me of our 1st year under Rick. Porter had the team running Rick's offense of precision screens and they just didn't quite grasp it. Remember we used to say the team is at a junior college level and Rick is teaching at a Ph.D level. They lost but not by much.

I like Porter and I hope he succeeds at Loyola. Just hope he didn't lose his touch from when he was with Ark-LR.

I saw this game as well - they looked horrible: couldn't score, consistently turned the ball over (with stupid, weak, skip passes) and continually dribbled right into a half court trap and picked up their dribble. Also, they have no size. One positive was that the remake of the Gentile Center looks really good. Hopefully that helps Porter recruit some kids to play up in Rodgers Park.