Saturday Game Watch - Chicago

Bishop

I will be in Chicago with a few other Bills fans this Saturday and wont be able to make the game at the Fetz. Anyone in the area going to be out at a bar watching or have any suggestions on where to go?

We're weak in that we haven't officially declared an alumni bar (one of my gripes with our Alumni program in our "club cities"), but Sedgwick's is traditionally where you could go. It is a big Cardinals bar and has hosted watch parties in the past, but I would call them ahead of time and make sure they will show the game.

If you want to wander into enemy territory, Finley Dunne's on the northern end of Lakeview (Roscoe and Lincoln) is the official University of Dayton Alumni chapter bar (I think they do Ole Miss also). They will definitely have the game on with sound.

We're one of the only schools I can think of that doesn't have our own Alumni bar in Chicago. We need to get on that pronto.

We can try. I think realistically, we're never going to have what Ohio State or Michigan State have up here, which is 5-10 bars each with 200+ people filled every weekend for games, but we should have one go to bar for SLU. Basically every other school up here has one.

We've historically done a bad job of alumni outreach in many of our cities, especially Chicago where the critical mass exists to have an alumni bar (EVERY SCHOOL HAS ONE HERE) and now that our basketball team is trending upward, it is an important aspect of our program to be able to extend it's reach beyond STL's boarders.

Maybe I'll start a new thread, see who I can corral in Chicago and we can make a pitch to Sedgwick's or some other bar up here that makes sense.

I live in St. Louis but have a group of friends that usually gather at Sedgewick's for televised Bill's games. I hear good things about their bloody mary bar!

jimmy two times-

I am the local chapter president in Chicago and we have tried *endlessly* for years to get an official SLU bar in Chicago. We have had some nice events at Sedgwick's in the past and can try to have them turn on the game for you tomorrow. I cannot attend due to a family event.

You have to realize they are the official bar for:

1. Duke 2. Missouri 3. Illini 4. Villanova

We get trumped if those colleges are playing. The good news is at 4pm tomorrow, there are none of the colleges playing so it should be wide open. I have been to SLU game watches during some lean years (some by myself) for the Billikens and sadly it seems some people only come out if they are playing well so to convince a bar to host us is not an easy task. Give me your email and we can discuss and see if you can help us out in my 15-year quest to find a solution to this.

Go Bills!

I have contacted Sedwick's and they are reserving a small area for us from 4pm-6pm tomorrow. Just ask for the SLU area and they should be able to help you out.

Thanks. One thing I think we could do - *when* we make the tournament, maybe we can do a roll call on this board, I can grab some of my other SLU alumns that are too scared to be on it and we can contact a bar that doesn't have many affiliations and do a bit of a trial event there for the tourney, hopefully to parlay that into some sort of home base for SLU games in the future. If I have to put up with it being a Cardinals/Rams bar as well, I'll fall on the grenade. Sometimes it helps when you have a new bar come on the scene, or a bar that doesn't get a lot of love to switch over (e.g., Kirkwood went from an Ohio State bar to Nebraska, Declan's caved in and became an Oklahoma bar, etc.).

You bring up a good point, though. We clamor and complain about not having a bar for certain games...but what's in it for the bar? Can we get enough people, consistently to validate them putting up some SLU crap and showing the games? It remains to be seen. But there was a time when we had to get on a bus behind Gries, ride to the Kiel Center for a game, risk getting shot, then ride back to campus. Now you have a good pre-game bar scene and a kick ass stadium on campus. Getting 30 people in a bar should be a breeze. Let's get this done.

We'll need to connect with an independent bar. Not one of the Four Corner Tavern bars - they are too cookie-cutter and locked into too many schools. I have a great relationship with a few bars in the hot West Loop that we could try......

We'll need to connect with an independent bar. Not one of the Four Corner Tavern bars - they are too cookie-cutter and locked into too many schools. I have a great relationship with a few bars in the hot West Loop that we could try......

Post pics...Jimmy two times will get people there watching

Just have those independent bars follow Two Times around for a weekend as part of the recruiting process. The bar tabs from his crew will get them to get a SAINT LOUIS banner on the front door in no time.

Just have those independent bars follow Two Times around for a weekend as part of the recruiting process. The bar tabs from his crew will get them to get a SAINT LOUIS banner on the front door in no time.

Sadly/Fortunately, he's right.

Four Corner's bars are nice, but they are all taken. We had Schoolyard sponsor our flag football team, but they are official for Illinois football and Marquette basketball and they get completely packed. That won't work.

If you have a bar in the West Loop that might take us on, that would be great. We could handle a split with someone like LSU or whatever. Just need a home base to watch games.

Jimmy Two Times / Havel - you both made some good points. I live in Chicago as well and am familiar with the "alumni bar" situation; it's actually quite ridiculous. Did you know that Cortland's Garage in Bucktown is the official home to.... TCU? Independent bar is the way to go, for sure. The Four Corners group spends a decent amount advertising for Big 10 events (I imagine they have arrangements with alumni groups?) but make a killing; I don't see any reason for them to go out of their way to adopt the Billikens.

I know a good group of my SLU/Dayton friend will be a Finley Dunne's, which aside from being a Dayton bar, is the type of bar that we may want to target: a bit out of the way, independent (to my knowledge), and willing to put the sound on for all games....

Havel, what bars do you know in the West Loop. Holiday Club/Haymarket? Or are you thinking of the bars on Madison: Jaks/West End/Beer Bistro, etc?

Another thought might be 6 Corners on Damen/Division/Milwaukee. They generally seem pretty dead and might like some business...

I love the alumni bar situation up here...except for the fact that everyone under the sun but us is in it.

Finley Dunne's...that wouldn't be a bad option. I wouldn't mind that being co-op with Dayton. Does Beckett's in that area sponsor anything?

Just found out SLU Alumni is buying some appetizers for those who go to sedgewicks to watch the game. Last minute planning. Have fun up there boys and hopefully SLU will bring home a victory

Good to hear. Hope they get a good crew there today. You going Jimmy?

Good to hear. Hope they get a good crew there today. You going Jimmy?

I can't today because I have to be home for some domestic tasks involving my condo sale, but i'll be hitting the live stream on Fox but I'll certainly lead the hunt to get our flag planted at a bar. We'll be playing Thursday or Friday on 3/15 or 3/16; I know it.

I love the alumni bar situation up here...except for the fact that everyone under the sun but us is in it.

Finley Dunne's...that wouldn't be a bad option. I wouldn't mind that being co-op with Dayton. Does Beckett's in that area sponsor anything?

Guys,

A buddy and I went to Sedgewicks for the game against Xavier (we were the only two). Its not a bad option but we would be really far down on their list. Becketts sponsors Nebraska, which is really only for football. I think we could get Becketts or Finley Dunnes to be our bar. I haven't been to Finley Dunnes but Becketts is a real nice place. The problem is that we have SO FEW games on TV that no bar sees it worthwhile to be our "sponsor bar", nor do we ever have a turnout of more than a few people. Joe and I have talked and I echo his statements where we have tried endlessly to get a SLU bar in Chicago. The Duke watch party last year was great except that so few people actually showed.

Thanks to whoever put this one together at Sedgewicks. Myself and two fellow SLU alumns from 06 will be there watching.

Guys,

A buddy and I went to Sedgewicks for the game against Xavier (we were the only two). Its not a bad option but we would be really far down on their list. Becketts sponsors Nebraska, which is really only for football. I think we could get Becketts or Finley Dunnes to be our bar. I haven't been to Finley Dunnes but Becketts is a real nice place. The problem is that we have SO FEW games on TV that no bar sees it worthwhile to be our "sponsor bar", nor do we ever have a turnout of more than a few people. Joe and I have talked and I echo his statements where we have tried endlessly to get a SLU bar in Chicago. The Duke watch party last year was great except that so few people actually showed.

Thanks to whoever put this one together at Sedgewicks. Myself and two fellow SLU alumns from 06 will be there watching.

Maybe we try Beckett's then in the future. I don't think the TV setup at Sedgwick's is particularly great. Worth a shot.

Maybe we try Beckett's then in the future. I don't think the TV setup at Sedgwick's is particularly great. Worth a shot.

I agree - Sedgewicks is not the most comfortable place to watch a game, but regardless, props to whoever set this up. Great job.

Glad a bunch of you can make it to Sedgwick's today! Just mention the SLU area;they are reserving a few tables. I will be with you in spirit. We will try to find a spot for the Xavier game on the 28th! Check Twitter @sluchicago and Facebook (Chicago SLU Alumni Club) for more.

Joe

I will be heading straight there from the airport with 2 other SLU Alums. Anyone down for a basketball bar tour this afternoon/evening is more than welcome. Im from Indiana so we will be going to the IU bar afterward for the IU-Purdue game and then to Kincades for the KU-Mizzou game.

For those trying to figure out where to set up a SLU bar, here is a listing of college bars in the Chicago area so we can narrow down the best options. Also, why the hell is there not an entirely SLU bar in STL??

http://www.chibarproject.com/Features/College/ChicagoCollegeBars.html

Lets Go Bills!

I will be heading straight there from the airport with 2 other SLU Alums. Anyone down for a basketball bar tour this afternoon/evening is more than welcome. Im from Indiana so we will be going to the IU bar afterward for the IU-Purdue game and then to Kincades for the KU-Mizzou game.

For those trying to figure out where to set up a SLU bar, here is a listing of college bars in the Chicago area so we can narrow down the best options. Also, why the hell is there not an entirely SLU bar in STL??

http://www.chibarpro...ollegeBars.html

Lets Go Bills!

Fieldhouse is becoming the bar for SLU games in STL, they just need to quit acting like amateurs and start playing like big boys. Hopefully they get their act together.